Is it worth changing air filters early?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
I have usually changed the air filter annually, around every 20k, on my previous cars as they were easy and relatively cheap.

The schedule for my OM642 is 4 years or approx every 46k, and was last done during the service before last.
The mileage currently is 78k, with the next service due @ 84k.
According to the ESS, service B is due, with ATF change, but it seems the air filters and fuel filters will not be changed until the next service at around 99K.

Is there any benefit to replace the air filters before then?

Thanks

I change mine every 2 years regardless.

It depends upon which end of Kent you are in...........closer to London and I would certainly consider more frequent changes.

Car cabin filters can sometimes be nearly black after 12-18 months, so it's worth changing those in my opinion, for the few £ they cost.

I change mine every 2 years regardless.

It depends upon which end of Kent you are in...........closer to London and I would certainly consider more frequent changes.

I'm just 2miles from M25. I will probably go for a change then, as it cannot do any harm, apart from my wallet!

Thanks

Car cabin filters can sometimes be nearly black after 12-18 months, so it's worth changing those in my opinion, for the few £ they cost.

I think this is due next service in 3 months.

I'll check and if not I'll replace anyway

Thanks

Yes,yes, yes and yes. 46k it will be clogged and although it will still flow, the engine will be working harder to pull the air through so will use more fuel. Filters on my 646 are 20 quid for genuine so they get changed every year/9k.

Air_Filter_2006_2016.jpg

That's from my W203. The top left item is the original factory-fitted MB filter.

Top row - filter in service 2006-2010

Middle row - filter in service 2010-2012

Bottom row - filter in service 2012-2016

They do look pretty bad if left for the full 4 years.

care to elaborate?

It'll make next to no difference whatsoever, except in your mind a bit maybe. :thumb:

I'd also replace just because I like to think I'm giving my car the best care I can and I can afford to throw a bit of money away to do that, but there's no real gains in discernible mpg or power. If it did, the schedule for their change would be more frequent.

No. They're set to extended change intervals to make it cheaper for lease companies and fleet managers, who car companies want to get business from. Same with long life oil intervals.

Personally I think 4 years is a ridiculously long time to leave filters. They should at least be removed and checked a long time before that, ideally annually or at 12,000 or so mile intervals.

When I took my original ones out at around 10,000 miles they were fine, but I still just blew them out with an airline to get rid of the bits which had accumulated. Wouldn't have liked to have left them much longer to be honest.

You're also supposed to get the engine adaptations re-done after a filter change on a V6. Not sure why or how important that is but ''tis said. I didn't at last filter change and it made no discernible difference to anything :dk:.

Just change them. Cost is not terrible and you know you will feel better. And the car...probably.

A good quality air filter (Knecht/Mann/Mahle/Bosch) cost around twenty quid and it in most cases replacing it is a five minute change... so just replace it as often as you like :)

I'll change them and see how it goes. Costs around £60 for the pair from MB.

I've heard different views on adaptation required or not.

I'll ask the dealer

thanks

I stuck a pair of K&N's in my C55 AMG the other month. Can't really feel any difference and the fuel consumption has not changed.

All I know is that they are brand new and I won't bother looking at them for at least a year.

I have used K&N on cars and bikes for some years now and had no problems. Some say they have all sorts of issues with them effecting air flow sensors and other electronic gubbins...but that has not been my experience.

In the olden days of carburetors I used K&Ns on my DCOE Webers... great fun cleaning and oiling them :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom