Is Light Turbo Noise Normal E280 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mystic.bertie

Car
E280 CDI SPORT 2007 Saloon
Hi chaps

I recently started to notice the turbo whistle every so slightly with normal easy driving, when i rev the engine in neutral you hear it slightly too, is this normal in the colder weather, im just looking for reassurance. :rolleyes:

How do you know it's turbo noise?

Lots of engine components make whining/whistling noises.....

I was thinking that Idler bearings, tensioner bearings or freewheeling A/C Clutch could make whistlimng/whining noises....

It's human nature to suspect the most expensive component, and the Dealer will be happy to agree with you..

I was thinking that Idler bearings, tensioner bearings or freewheeling A/C Clutch could make whistlimng/whining noises....

It's human nature to suspect the most expensive component, and the Dealer will be happy to agree with you..

Ok thanks for the info, ill have a wee listen ad see if its coming from the front of the engine or perhaps the turbo area. :thumb:

It's a compressor so you will sometimes hear a bit of a whistle when the air gets flowing, but it may actually be induction noise (i.e. the sound of it sucking on the air filter).

In the Nissan it's really prominent when I'm on the motorway, but I don't really notice it most of the time.

Turbo noise is usually good, but if you have only just started to notice it then it may not be.

On a standard car with a turbo, you may hear a faint whistle as it spools up, but it shouldn't be audible on "normal easy driving" as you put it.

If it's only just started happening, the you may have a leak on a hose somewhere. Cold weather does tend to make it a wee bit louder due to the air density, but it really shouldn't be noticeable.

I've never heard any turbo noise on my 280 CDI - the diesel racket drowns out most noises :(

I'm anything but an expert on diesel engines, but I'd be inclined to agree with daveenty. If you've only just noticed it, there may be a small leak somewhere and it's probably trivial.

Thanks for all your opinion guys. Its not loud enough to record. I dont have anyone around to rev the engine while i have a listen. I need to do a couple of small job on Monday so i will have a route about then.

Turbo whistle

I have recently noticed a similar noise on my 280CDi which is linked to a marked reduction in performance. I've had the intermittent 'kangarooing' problem for some time but it has been so infrequent as to not pursue it with the independent garage I use. However recently, after a particularly fierce session of jerking on hard acceleration I detected a gradual reduction in both fuel economy and acceleration. Fault codes indicated the turbo and upon investigation the actuator was working fine but the turbo was stiff, and it was replaced. Whilst the car was almost back to normal, it wasn't 100% and within a week its performance was once more sluggish. The independent has run all star diagnostics but these have revealed nothing. They even did a terra clean free of charge to see if this would solve the problem and whilst fuel economy was considerably improved along with a far quieter driving experience, the engine was still noisy and tractor-like under load when pulling away from a standing start. It feels like it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding sometimes, although others it seems ok, and kicks you in the back. I've now begun to notice the audible whistle when pulling away, which makes me think I have an intermittent loss of pressure somewhere. Back to the indy on Wednesday to hopefully confirm my thoughts and track it down. It's a pig to drive at the moment, whereas it's normally such a pleasure.

As mentioned by others here it is generally a normal characteristic of the turbo.

Had this light whistle noise on my dad's 280CDI also and the car was spot on. Only had a one time limp mode situation but this was due to a cracked intercooler air pipe.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Check o ring seal on aluminium pipe from turbo to intercooler but I'd assume this was replaced with the turbo but worth a check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom