is my car chipped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GH421

Car
W221 S320L Cdi
I was at the lights and a C270 cdi pulled up next to me on the dual carriageway. I have a c270 cdi too and we both had a brisk start (to 50 mph) and my car ate his for breakfast lunch and dinner. I'm pretty sure his car was running well and it's not that hard to put your foot down but it came to the point where i could slow down for him and then pull away. I kept doing that until he jumped a red light.

anyway the question is, are there any tell tale signs to see wether or not your car has been chipped and you have no chance of contacting previous owner?

Simply No !

We would have to Pull the software from the vehicle and take a log of live data ....

or you could have the vehicle dynoed to see the current output ?

Regards Gary @ *** Tuning

If you require any more info give me a call ... Or google us ....

Regards ***

....or you could be pleased that your car is quick and pleased that you don't know if its been chipped because then you can't be required to disclose it to your insurance company.

You can have 2 cars that left the factory exactly the same spec and then lead 2 different lives, e.g One is driven by a spirited driver who pushes the car along occasionally takes it up to it's limits and gives it a good workout on the motorway, the second is driven by an elderly gentleman / woman just ploding along around town and never sees a motorway.

After a period of time the first car will be significantly faster than the second one.

Maybe thats what you experienced? :)

This is also correct to some extent. The ECU will adapt with in reason the ecu will log an appoxamate 10-15 turns of the key and log "real Time data" Eg throttle postion temps and pressure's Ect Therefore meaning values would have adapted to the drives particular habbits / styles of driving ...

Regards Gary @ *** Tuning

He could have a bag of cement or a body in his boot that could add extra weight and result in slower acceleration ?

I think SilverSaloons got it right. Many is the time cars fly away from me at the lights. I just cant be bothered.

Most of the time.......

....or you could be pleased that your car is quick and pleased that you don't know if its been chipped because then you can't be required to disclose it to your insurance company.

I doubt whether that is true. Unfair, but true.
I think you will find that its YOUR responsibility to inform your insurance company of anything non-standard on your car. Whether fitted by you OR a previous owner.
If you did have a prang and your car was chipped - and you used the excuse that you didnt know, I dont think that would hold water.
Otherwise it would be used by half the chippers driving around................

I found a chip in my car the other day .
Angela had dropped it as we left McDonalds ;)

I think you will find that its YOUR responsibility to inform your insurance company of anything non-standard on your car. Whether fitted by you OR a previous owner.
If you did have a prang and your car was chipped - and you used the excuse that you didnt know, I dont think that would hold water.

But thats just the point, unless he has owned the car from new he cannot know if it is or isn't. No insurer can expect every used car purchased to be forsenically checked by the purchaser to establish its state of tune. It is a case of "ignorance is bliss tis folly to be wise" if he can't reasonably know then he is ok-but if he makes it his business to know then he'll have to disclose that knowledge.

Using your argument he is guilty until proven innocent............ I think the standard definition is to disclose all facts whether you think them relevant or not ..so the insurance company can decide..BUT if he doesn't know the facts he cant declare them....I hope that makes sense.:crazy:

Dont get caught up with people's ideas of insurance on this forum mate. Whether your car is chipped or not i cant comment on, but i would say the thing you can be sure of is that your engine has a cleaner bill of health then the other party.

My 230k recently has recently suffered a down turn in bhp, and i'm going to find out why at my next service. I dyno'ed it at 191bhp to the wheels when it was in all good working order, and i dyno'ed it very recently prior to a remap only to find that the power has dropped to 180bhp to the wheels. This is still above standard but my engine should be performing better, and its quite common to find alot of engines in alot of cars not giving out their optimum.

Dont get caught up with people's ideas of insurance on this forum mate. Whether your car is chipped or not i cant comment on, but i would say the thing you can be sure of is that your engine has a cleaner bill of health then the other party.

My 230k recently has recently suffered a down turn in bhp, and i'm going to find out why at my next service. I dyno'ed it at 191bhp to the wheels when it was in all good working order, and i dyno'ed it very recently prior to a remap only to find that the power has dropped to 180bhp to the wheels. This is still above standard but my engine should be performing better, and its quite common to find alot of engines in alot of cars not giving out their optimum.

As a matter of interest for the two bhp figures you quote were they done on the same dyno? I've seen some amazing differences in figures quoted for the same car from 2 different dyno's

190 at the wheels , what is that saying at the flywheel ?

Have you had the remap? If so how did that affect the power?

Using your argument he is guilty until proven innocent............ I think the standard definition is to disclose all facts whether you think them relevant or not ..so the insurance company can decide..BUT if he doesn't know the facts he cant declare them....I hope that makes sense.:crazy:

It all makes perfect sense - to me. I know exactly what you mean and I dont disagree from either a logical or moral point of view.

However...................

These are insurance companies we are talking about. And I think we would all agree that sometimes they dont play fair. If they can find a loophole to wriggle out of paying a claim - specially a large one, they will. And do.
I would not want to be the one to find out AFTER an incident that my insurance was worthless.
Thats all I am saying.

It could be that you have a sweet engine in your car . I few years back we had a dyno sout-out at a bike rally . My brothers blade with the 893cc engine was putting 120bhp and the wheel , and one of our friends modded blade with a stage 3 jet kit and the bigger 918 engine was puting out 117 bhp at the wheel , he wasnt to pleased !It goes to show what the difference can be between 2 engines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom