Is this a record?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexM

Car
W212 E63 AMG Saloon
Hi There,

I saw this on the MFD of my 2013 E63, and was so shocked I took a picture. This was was over 54 miles over extra-urban and low-speed driving on the M25 in traffic.

Best ever fuel consumption in my AMG E63 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

Has anyone ever got anything significantly better with the M157? I was driving as if my testicles were under the throttle peddle - I was just off idle for most of the trip :).

I have to say it was massively boring - I won't be trying to better that on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Alex

I've done 31mpg door to door.

276f6516f4972f32c0035b22a1e7fc36.jpg

Wow... good job!. maybe estates have better Aero :)

My figure did include some urban driving to/from from the M25 to my place in Kingston so I can see that it could be possible. Interestingly I found that I could consistently do better than the cruise control - letting speed bleed slightly going up hills and accelerating very gently downhill. I see ecain63's figure was achieved at 70 on cruise, so maybe possible to do even better 'manually'.

Last edited:
Actually I never use cruise. I use the 'skateboard' method and using terrain to keep momentum. Some times I was way over 70 and some times way under. I wouldn't like to repeat the journey however.

The 'Skateboard' method? what is that?.

It does seem perverse to run a car like an E63 and then maximise economy, but it's just a bit of fun.

I have also noticed that it seems better to accelerate relatively briskly to get to the desired speed, rather than drift up to it. It does seem possible to get significantly better economy around town with stop/start - I managed to get from Crawley to Tottenham Court road via Croyden at 22mpg.. was quite surprised at that as I'm getting used to seeing 16-18Mpg around town. A/C off seems to save a little too.

Imagine how you might travel via skateboard, push with a leg then coast, push then coast etc.

The sound is too addictive, as soon as the road opens I mash the peddle into the carpet.

I love my C63 and drive it the way it was intended when the conditions allow.:rock:

I'm on first name terms with dudes at the local Shell station.

Well I had a sports car years ago and used to travel from Benfleet Essex to Pembroke Dock,nearly 300 miles,traveling in the early morning so little traffic,found that if I used cruise control I got better fuel consumption,I did not think that would happen,going downhill the car eases off and then once a hill bites it uses more power to keep the speed at the setting,I felt sure it would use more fuel but no better consumption

The sound is too addictive, as soon as the road opens I mash the peddle into the carpet.

I love my C63 and drive it the way it was intended when the conditions allow.:rock:

I'm on first name terms with dudes at the local Shell station.

I did say I was bored stupid while driving like this, and didn't plan to repeat!

I thought the MPG was surprisingly similar in the 45's to the 63's.. I managed 38mpg in sport mode on a 150 mile trip today with a few spurts.

Suppose the difference is as it should be in the difference in engine size! Can imagine a long trip in the E63 would be very comfortable though!

Hi There,

I saw this on the MFD of my 2013 E63, and was so shocked I took a picture. This was was over 54 miles over extra-urban and low-speed driving on the M25 in traffic.

https://flic.kr/p/HoDGLZBest ever fuel consumption in my AMG E63 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

Has anyone ever got anything significantly better with the M157? I was driving as if my testicles were under the throttle peddle - I was just off idle for most of the trip :).

I have to say it was massively boring - I won't be trying to better that on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Alex

At autobahn in a Vito van!;-)

ForumRunner_20160621_193012.jpg

I think I once got 27mpg out of my CLS55 AMG. Worst was 7 around the doors so to speak. That was with tires that were ready for the junk yard and heavy rain.

My car was collected and returned by the dealer for a minor repair last week. The guy that dropped it off was proud of the 29.5 mpg he'd got out of it on the way back.
I was impressed that he'd done that too, as I was a bit worried about how he might drive it on the way back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom