Is this any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A low mileage car like that is a good buy, it will be like a 2 year old car, well worth the extra money for what is likely to be fault free driving for some time to come.

Check to see if the tires are more than 6 years old, it’s likely the original tires are still on it, MOT advisory if more than 6 years old.

Dec

tires.jpg

Is the tyre date a fairly recent MOT addition or has it always been like that?

I'm sure my cars in my early driving years must have had or at least come with tyres older than 6 years and I've never heard of it being flagged up.

I’m making assumption here now, that may not be correct, so not sure if it is an MOT advisory in UK, it is in Ireland as I had advisory on my last NCT (National Car Test) that the rear tires were over 6 years old.

It’s the first I have heard of it as well, it seems to be a bit of a secret, if a tier is over six years old then it might be considered unsafe.

Dec

It's not an AMG at all; that's a normally-aspirated V6 engine in the pictures, not a blown inline six. What it is, is a sheep in wolf's clothing; a fifteen-year-old E320 petrol with an AMG bodykit, wheels and back boxes. On the other hand, it has only 15K miles on it. It has a pretty moderate spec - effectively no COMAND, no parking sensors at all - but seems a decent enough car otherwise.

It probably needs new tyres. I don't know how the seller knows it was fitted with a Behr rad from new, but no doubt he'll tell you. I'm not sure whether the engine might be likely to develop any sort of known fault, like balancer shafts, but at that mileage any trouble would be likely to be some way off. The SBC is very likely to be original, and if the car has spent most of it's life inching forward in Tokyo traffic jams, it might be nearing needing a reset at least, but you'd have to take the risk on that.

A W211 is a nice place to be, and some might pay extra for the bodykit, wheels and exhaust. Think of it as a somewhat detuned E350 CGI; would you pay £6k for a low-spec example with only 15K miles on it? I wouldn't, but I'm sure somebody will.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Speedo change was documented? There's alot of oxidation on the alloy parts of the car and corrosion to the nuts / bolts face of the caliper's, I had a 1984 380sel with a Genuine 24k on the clock. That was totally like new, The w211 pictured athough very good looks a little like its covered more than 15k to me.

It is of course had to tell from the pictures, Not sure id spend 6k on one.

Should it be using fully synthetic oil?

I thought they would use semi.

I wonder if the Speedo change was documented? There's alot of oxidation on the alloy parts of the car and corrosion to the nuts / bolts face of the caliper's, I had a 1984 380sel with a Genuine 24k on the clock. That was totally like new, The w211 pictured athough very good looks a little like its covered more than 15k to me.

It is of course had to tell from the pictures, Not sure id spend 6k on one.

Exactly, a lot of parts need changing due to age as well as mileage also. I'd rather a 100k car that has been fastidiously maintained. IE Brutus, when are you going to sell him to me? :devil:

A 2006 M272.964 engine is likely to be in the serial number range of the balance shaft issue, is it not?

Would be fine if seller can prove its been rebuilt, but if not and within range, add on another £2.5k - £3k.

The point I was making is that there are much newer, and arguably better, cars available for that sort of money.

The seller seems to appreciate that the tyres will want changing so fair enough there, though I'd probably give this one a miss due to various other factors which are mentioned above, balance shaft being a major one.

Incidentally, I'm sure that the boot lid is different on the Japanese cars with a narrower number plate recess, hence the square plate fitted? I know this is the case on the W124 and it looks to be the same here.

ETA: This is my old one from a few years back: -

E55_RNS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom