Is this for real ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

french

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi TT RS 2.5 , Zanussi Wd12: - LG Combi Multiwave - Swan 9 slice toaster with removable crumb tray
Put my C32 up for sale yesterday & had this email back, will this lead to some yarn etc I,m fearing...albeit incredibly polite :rolleyes:

Dear Sir,

Good day! I hope this email finds you well.

This is Frederick Jon, a student at the University of Warwick, from Singapore. I am interesting in buying your car for my commutes between campus & Leamington Spa for the next two years.

We will be visiting my sister in Bath next week, & are looking to view the car with a serious view onto purchasing it. Would that be possible?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Frederick Jon Chen

[email protected]

It's a bona fide Warwick Uni domain address, though I'm not knowledgeable about the standard for usernames there.

I would reply equally politely expressing concern that purchasing such a vehicle might beyond his means as an impoverished student. You will be reassured when he furnishes some proof of his ability to pay your asking price or is prepared to turn up with cash. You can further explain that due to your insurance policy conditions its unlikely he will be able to test drive your car when he comes to see it but you will be happy to demonstrate it on an extended test drive if he wishes. You are also happy for the car to be inspected by a certified motoring engineer should he be interested in purchasing it after his initial visit. ;)

Sounds normal, the international students are often cash rich and are interested in cars of such class whilst studying here.

But as always, be cautious with any buyer.

That address I can safely say looks real, even admin there have the initial, last name and often a number afterwards

Perhaps meet somewhere public for peace of mind

We will be visiting my sister in Bath next week, & are looking to view the car with a serious view onto purchasing it. Would that be possible?

[/email]

WE will be visiting my sister in Bath next week? So there will be two Chen's or more... and why would he be wanting to see his sister in the bath

Does not look that unusual to me! You want to see the number of i8's the Chinese students drive round Southampton in :)

The email address looks legit, just make sure you email that address, it could be a link to a different email address.

That over polite style has all the hallmarks of a scammer, including the "I hope this email finds you well", and irrelevant details like visiting his sister.

I've bought loads of cars, never mentioned where I planned to go in it to the seller.

The email looks OK as it is, and the email address and the story do hang together.

If it had more generic content and a hotmail etc domain then what I'd be expecting is for it to develop into a story where he can't come but will arrange for the car to be collected and asking you send money to pay the delivery agent.

LOTS of Chinese students at Warwick Uni.
I live and work within 5 mins of it, so if I can be of any help, just pm.

Looks OK to me. Could be a mature student anyway - not necessarily a youngster.

Student from car crazy Singapore looking to buy a 32. No probs, they are mega wealthy out there and I have seen serious top end mercs out there.
Show me the money though .....

Sounds normal, the international students are often cash rich and are interested in cars of such class whilst studying here.

But as always, be cautious with any buyer.

^^This

Some international students have a lot of money to spend. Take the usual precautions when selling a car and you should be ok.

He may turn up with a bundle of cash, just get it checked and deposited by the bank

There is no profile on FB for a Frederick Jon Chen. Tell me what student doesnt have a FB account.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There is no profile on FB for a Frederick Jon Chen. Tell me what student doesnt have a FB account.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Frederick Jon Chen doesn't :dk:

:bannana:

Not all facebook accounts are findable via a search, might have privacy settings.

Thank you very much guys, he seems a nice guy from the video so I have sent a e mail off to him...thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom