Is this spam or should I panic!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
I have just received the following email:

Hello
My name is Dave and I am from the Support of WorldPay.
We have received the payment order (ID 0220712,Receipt Date 09/07/2006) from you and we need to make a verification of the details you have filled in, as we have received a notice from your card service stating that there was a chargeback made by the owner of the card with which you have made the payment and that your level of authorization has been altered during your last transaction.
This is a very serious matter. We have deducted the amount of the chargeback, GBP 149.89, from your account and added our standard fee of GBP 24.00 as well (you can see your payment details in the attachment).
We have failed to contact you using the telephone number you have provided earlier, meeting no response.
As a precaution, we have limited access to your account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your personal information.
Please contact your credit card company to resolve this matter.
Best Regards,
Dave Gollick
[email protected]

There is a zip file attached.

I have no idea what it's about.

For the past two nights at 17.10 my mobile has rung showing "number witheld" but as soon as I answer it it disconnects. I don't know if this is coincidence or if the events are related.

Neither of my card accounts show anything. It has all the hallmarks of spam nasty spoof messages which I normally can just ignore - but it would be great if someone could confirm if it is or not.

I daren't open the zip file for obvious reasons!

Scrap the above - it is malicious! Just been to the Worldpay site and it acknowledges this spoof mail as having just appeared and advising it be deleted.

Phew!!

SEM said:
Had same one 53 times! toerags

:eek: toerags indeed. If I'd got it more than once I wouldn't have given it a second thought - other than cursing them of course. I'd better prepare for getting a few more of them then:mad:

Yes, dump it - and you're absolutley right about avoiding the zip file that's with it which installs a worm on your PC.

Ignore anything that arrives that doesn't contain information that is specific to your own account.

Never respond to an email directly, if you think it may be genuine contact the organisation through your own account or their website - not through any link that may be provided.

Phishing emails like this rely on the recipient having some kind of transaction history with the organisation they purport to be from.

Millions are sent by using computers infected with the kind of worm this one carries.

If in any doubt cut & paste a few lines from the text into Google & see how many times it comes up in the search engine!

I had the same thing - nearly fooled me too !! Spam !!!

One thing gave it away for me, the spelling is American.

Wully said:
One thing gave it away for me, the spelling is American.

Well spotted! Though on a completely different yet vaguely related subject, I was walking through Camden last night and walked by a retailer called "Plumb Center".

Given that I'd had a long day and was generally infuriated I was sorely tempted to get to grips with the sign and rearrange the letters so the spelling was correct.

Maybe I should switch to decaf?

I got a few of these too. The first one initially got my heart pounding as I think I bought something through a small online trader a while ago and was billed via worldpay, but the attached zip gives the game away, as does the unprofessional wording of the e-mail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom