It's here my new C350 CDI :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is a lovely looking car in that colour, for sure.

I was in a similar boat, very nearly went for a 330d but have had BMWs (Z3, Z4, Z4M, 330d E46, 118d, 130i) for years and fancied something different, and automatic this time. 330d or 325d Auto is a killer on BIK tax compared to the 250CDI 7G.

320d is the same band but single turbo, 20hp down, and a bit louder than the 250.

What power does a D6 C350cdi have

my D6 S211 certainly feels nippy. Not a 335d but I've played with a 330d and it did me pround.

You hardly ever see 335d's it seems most are 318d or 320d anyway so not really a worry?

Somebody on here said the new D6 box takes it to 313bhp which would be exactly the same as the new Audi leaving the current 335D in 3rd with 286bhp.

Lets be honest, at this level none of them can be called slow.

I had a C350 for the weekend and it was more than quick enough standard!

Put it this way, I wouldn't go near one in my 130i (265hp, 0-60 in 6) despite the weight advantage!

Somebody on here said the new D6 box takes it to 313bhp which would be exactly the same as the new Audi leaving the current 335D in 3rd with 286bhp.

Lets be honest, at this level none of them can be called slow.

It can be but please read this

Brabus D6S - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

In particular

I called my dealer yesterday and found out the Mercedes have not authorised the Brabus upgrade for my engine yet so they don't supply it yet and definitely don't warranty the fitment.

The dealers comments was that the very high torque and increased heat output might be a concern for Mercedes - the torque is higher than the E63 AMG.

Have to stick with the standard engine for now!

I think Mercedes are pushing it with the current engine and single turbo set up. Both the BMW and Audi make these power outputs with two turbos giving a wider range of power. MB to achieve the peak power thats in the 350cdi lowered the compression ratio over the previous one to one below 15:1 and raised the turbo boost pressure. It will be very laggy compared to both the Audi and BMW

Last edited:
Well according to the MB web site the C350 is 265BHP with 620nm of torque! Funny I would of thought it's HP would of been more. Ah well it's quick enough for me :)

Well according to the MB web site the C350 is 265BHP with 620nm of torque! Funny I would of thought it's HP would of been more. Ah well it's quick enough for me :)

It won't rev that high, hence the high torque and relatively low peak power (for such a high peak torque output on an automotive engine).

265bhp is a massive amount of power, especially not for a terribly large car. Its nearly impreza levels of peak power (standard ones are 280bhp and they really fly). 313bhp is what you will get with Brabus D6 tuning.

The old 350cdi was 231bhp and the 320cdi 221bhp (my car and I feel it shifts but peak torque is 500nm on my car).

You can see how the massive jump in torque has not really led to the proportionate jump in peak power, and thats because like all diesels, they cannot rev that high to make the massive torque output into a crazy power output that a petrol engine can.

Still 265bhp, in a car that does 40mpg, you won't get that from a petrol car that makes 265bhp nor will you get 265bhp from a petrol car that does 40mpg.

So you win. :bannana::bannana:

I think Mercedes are pushing it with the current engine and single turbo set up. Both the BMW and Audi make these power outputs with two turbos giving a wider range of power. MB to achieve the peak power thats in the 350cdi lowered the compression ratio over the previous one to one below 15:1 and raised the turbo boost pressure. It will be very laggy compared to both the Audi and BMW

The new C350s are twin turbo (compression is 16:2:1) however I am unsure if they are in series like on the BMW (where you have a small one then a big one) or not.

Add to that the new 335D is now back to a single turbo

Swings and roundabouts.

The new C350s are twin turbo (compression is 16:2:1) however I am unsure if they are in series like on the BMW (where you have a small one then a big one) or not.

Swings and roundabouts.

Sorry, my bad. I read elsewhere the engine was a reduced CR and bigger boost, looking up the data suggests I am completely wrong.
...as I have just checked MB website, didn't know they were twin turbo. That the phrase twin turbo is used would imply its two small blowers working together. Its still effective at reducing lag.

A twin turbo!? Didn't know that :)

Check under the bonnet, I am skeptical myself.
I would if I could be bothered :p

The 265hp V6 is indeed twin turbo, but I suspect (no evidence!) it's one per cylinder bank rather than compound turbo charging.

I would if I could be bothered :p

The 265hp V6 is indeed twin turbo, but I suspect (no evidence!) it's one per cylinder bank rather than compound turbo charging.

In the engine in my car the turbo sits in the Vee.

Where are your two turbos?

Interesting as the switch to two turbos was kept very quiet?

The old 350cdi was essentially my engine with the volume turned up. It did go like stink so I'd love to experience the new bi turbo set up.

According to the MB website the C250CDI is also twin turbo (but obviously on a 4 cylinder)

Those and the new 220cdis are brilliant, the pick up from low RPM is excellent.

Still 265bhp, in a car that does 40mpg, you won't get that from a petrol car that makes 265bhp nor will you get 265bhp from a petrol car that does 40mpg.

So you win. :bannana::bannana:

True. I had the C350 on demo for a weekend and drove it like it should be driven, although a couple of long runs, no short trips. Got 40MPG.

Had I driven my 130i the same I would get 29-31MPG.

You can nurse the 130i and get 43MPG on a run, maybe 44 if using 97 RON. You don't spend much time outside of the 55-70 speed region in order to achieve that mind you (and of course not using anywhere near 265hp)!

The C250 is twin turbo but I really haven't stretched its legs yet. I will be honest it is not as much fun to drive as the 130i but I chose it to be a motorway cruiser not a sports car, to do my 100 mile a day commute.

I am getting 55 mpg so far, the first 100 miles (all motorway or A road pretty much) so happy with the compromise 4 cylinder diesel.

I certainly stretched the legs of the demo C250 I had and it is quick enough for overtaking.

If the C350 wasn't quite so much in income tax and did 5 or so MPG more I think I would have chosen it, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

The C350 really is a nice motor though!

Last edited:
Where are your two turbos?
I haven't taken the engine cover off to look, but when I do I'll post up a piccy.
*** said:
The old 350cdi was essentially my engine with the volume turned up. It did go like stink so I'd love to experience the new bi turbo set up.
Although my wife's R171 SLK350 is quicker off the line due to being much lighter than my W212, by my seat-of-the-pants dyno I would say that once rolling above about 40mph the W212 is as quick accelerating as the SLK - at least until you get into licence shredding territory anyway.

The 7G-plus 'box doesn't have the irritating lag on pull away that the earlier BE setup did either, so coupled with the greater torque and twin turbo's of the 265hp motor it's pretty quick all round. If you haven't driven a latest-spec W212 350CDI then it would be worth blagging a go :thumb:

MB UK website still says single turbo for the E350CDI...

Swings and roundabouts.

The 335D is still twin turbo, the 335I is "Twin power" but single turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom