Its Just Not Cricket! Australia are currently Four Hundred and something for Four. Whats going On?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
Someone should send our pi##heads home. Useless Pr1cks!

They could win at this rate.

The England team are a bit of a disgrace. They should know how to behave off the field and how to play on it. A team of boys not men.

So much more interest and participation in cricket in Australia than there is in England. Huge pressure on them to succeed, especially against England.

As for the England team, some of the better players with their poor behaviour off the pitch have let the team down which has not helped with on the pitch performances.

Correct, its a way of life, we taught the world, another great British gift down the Pan!
Sometimes its all just too much, AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!-----------------:wallbash:

It is just a game, nothing more ,nothing less and one that can be exceptionally boring. After all a Test match may drone on for 5 days and still end up with a draw.................................................................:)

I can completely understand why people don’t like cricket, but I don’t understand why they come to a thread about cricket and voice their negative opinions. I don’t like football, boxing, fishing or horse racing so I never visit any pages about them on any social media. I happen to like cricket and 5-day Tests in particular. But this isn’t the place to discuss the intricacies and intrigue.

But yes, England’s performance today looked pretty woeful on a flat wicket against the world’s No. 1 batsman. I don’t buy into the off-field antics contributing to the poor performance because things went very well in the past for the likes of Botham, Gower and Flintoff who were often naughty boys. It’s more as GJW said earlier and the difference in the way the game is treated in Oz compared to the U.K.

I can completely understand why people don’t like cricket, but I don’t understand why they come to a thread about cricket and voice their negative opinions. I don’t like football, boxing, fishing or horse racing so I never visit any pages about them on any social media. I happen to like cricket and 5-day Tests in particular. But this isn’t the place to discuss the intricacies and intrigue.

But yes, England’s performance today looked pretty woeful on a flat wicket against the world’s No. 1 batsman. I don’t buy into the off-field antics contributing to the poor performance because things went very well in the past for the likes of Botham, Gower and Flintoff who were often naughty boys. It’s more as GJW said earlier and the difference in the way the game is treated in Oz compared to the U.K.

Possibly because this is supposed to be a motoring forum and not one where people discuss their favourite sports?

As for the England team, some of the better players with their poor behaviour off the pitch have let the team down which has not helped with on the pitch performances.

Yes and the OZ press is quick to jump on this.......

Having lived in Oz - cricket is the only sport loved by just about everybody in Australia ..Rugby Union, League, Soccer and Aussie Rules fragment all the supporters of other games. Added to this, the OZ press will publish rubbish about visiting teams, create rumours and generally badmouth a visiting team - especially the English. On top of this, the supporters are the most partisan and rude bunch of people I've ever had the misfortune to watch a game with (this goes for all sports in Australia)........

For the record ...I'm not English

Your definition is clearly not one I would recognise!

Sorry --- I forgot to add a quote where someone was complaining about football topics not being allowed......

However, I've yet to see cricketers / their supporters acting the way footballers & their supporters behave ....the recent image of a professional footballer trying to kick a supporter in the face springs to mind.......there has never been a time where cricket (or rugby) supporters needed to be kept apart by the police..

Possibly because this is supposed to be a motoring forum and not one where people discuss their favourite sports?

'Possibly' Its due to your inability to comprehend the meaning of the term " OFF TOPIC" which this particular thread encapsulates in its entirety.

As a pre teen kid in the 60s I adored cricket. Black and white TVs in those days, if you were lucky, and most week days in the summer you’d find a 3 day county match being covered. Gently. Ever so gently. And all for free. Not a pay for view channel in sight.

It seemed a different world to mine. Divorced parents, unusual in those days, and the cricket offered me comfort. Friendship even. The familiar voice. The gentle applause. The occasional clack of the bat hitting the ball. Usually a single. Perhaps a 4. And if it was a 6, the ground, the commentator and yours truly, all thrilled. Didn’t matter who’d coaxed it over the rope.

And it worked on radio too. Perhaps more so, despite the poor quality of medium wave or long wave, depending when you’d listen. And, portable in hand you could listen in the garden, hours passing by either side of what seemed like ridiculously lengthy lunches.

The pace suited the 60s. The 70s too. And the internationals added an extra thrill. The wonderful West Indians bowling incredibly quickly and sometimes too, an Australian accent during a post match interview. All so wonderful and exotic to a lad growing up in a not so nice council house in a not so nice housing estate on the outskirts of Portsmouth.

As I got older and life became a little busier, coverage of cricket was largely delivered by broadsheets. Beautifully detailed match results and tables taking up acres of space. If I recall correctly The Telegraph’s coverage was best and if I had to give a reason why I grew up a Tory, before switching sides, well then there you have it.

But life has changed. And few have the time any more, and the desperate offer of one day matches, coloured whites and ever more complicated rules, has done little to attract new fans - who like their mums and dads, and most of the schools that teach them, focus on football, and dreams of riches and wags and pocket money spent on pay per view.

My Dad played cricket for Woolwich in South London, most summer Sunday afternoons our mum would take us on the bus, to the cricket ground opposite the Yorkshire Grey Pub in Eltham SE London, to watch him play, it was a proper council pitch with a nice pavillion with a bar and dance floor, where we'd all be after the match, me and my elder brother with our Lemonade and bag of crisps, with a twist of salt in blue paper. Win lose or draw it really didnt matter, it was a good day out.England, Cricket,
Roast Beef, Apple tart and custard. Where did it all go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom