Jacking point failure...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
after fighting to remove the plug on the right rear side, I jacked up the car and the jacking point failed... Totally corroded... This is a warm welcome back from mercedes. don't you hate this...

Now, can I still jack up the car there in an emergency as I will be going next week and I am not going to carry a 3 tons trolly jack in the boot...
Or this is not good at all?

What is the procedure on those? How easy/ difficult is it to replace?

Cheers :)

Jacking point can fail on any car , how old is it ?

That's the romance of running a 90's W124. You've got to keep a regular eye on the bodywork.

Of course I am assuming that it is a W124 diesel estate of the late 80's or 90's.

I'm guessing it's a 300TD W210 like the last one. Welcome back Olivier.

I replied but it seems to be gone? How is this possible?

Thank you Druk :)
Its the same indeed but an Estate this time :) And avanguarde.

I am back and with the usual merc nasty "built to fail" corrosion :(

I was saying that the merc are design to fail/ corrode from the inside out. This has nothing to do with rust. It come from the inside out...
They need to keep the sales up you see... Sad truth.
The previous owner waxoiled the whole underneath, but there is noting you can do about the corrosion as it come from inside...

The rear brake pins are corroded to, making the pad stick, not safe at all... Thank you merc corrosion once again...

I am driving an older car without any corrosion, some rust of course but its from the outside and can be treated. merc do not want you to keep driving the cars for too long, then they make sure you are having massive body failure with the corrosion.

Now, is the jacking point safe in an emergency, will it hold or will it go through the floor?
Are they easy to repair or its a big job?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Did a couple on W124, any decent welder can do it easily enough, cost about £70 for a couple last time, there are replacement part brackets available from MB

You can jack up the rear of the car by positioning the trolley jack under the rear subframe front mount to the body on that side - provided its still OK- unfortunately failure of the rear jacking point tends to indicate that whole rear wheel arch area and associated chassis structures may be vulnerable.

There are many rumours about why Mercedes between 1995- 2004 rusted more than those of other periods. One was that inferior steel sourced from Russia or China was to blame but a more likely explanation was a move to a lighter higher tensile strength steel more prone to corrosion . This might have been OK had Mercedes beefed up their body protection with galvansing etc at the same time but that didn't come along till 2004. Other's, myself included, point a finger at newly developed water based paint systems replacing the old solvent based ones for environmental reasons. Then again more salt and road grit was spread on the roads to keep things moving also leading to harsher motoring environment . As always there are cars that are exceptions to the rule but in general any Mercedes manufactured between 1995- and 2004 merits a very thorough inspection for body corrosion prior to purchase.

You can jack up the rear of the car by positioning the trolley jack under the rear subframe front mount to the body on that side - provided its still OK- unfortunately failure of the rear jacking point tends to indicate that whole rear wheel arch area and associated chassis structures may be vulnerable.

Thanks.
It'll go to the repair shop for an inspection in a wee while.

Hi Olivier.
I had one of the front jacking points fail on my previous E300TD .... Not this one .... Yet !!
A friend of mine welded new parts in place.
I'm no welder.
Apparently - It's a common problem.

HI John,
I read a bit on this too as a common problem, very common indeed... but I didn't see any who actually repaired it? Or what is the procedure?
I see what the workshop will quote for that...

Today I saw an E300TD owner who has the same too. I kid you not. He's son put the jack in and Bang! Bad...

Did you do the glow plugs yet?

Last edited:
The glow-plugs are on my list-of-things-to-do.
It's summer - So it's not too much of a problem just now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom