Jaguar F-Pace preview day at Goodwood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
We got an invite to this event from jaguar last month, I’m not entirely sure why we were picked and I can only guess it was due to us registering our interest on the Jaaaaag website.

Still we were interested as the specification of this car looks interesting.

Well excuse the crappy photos, the whole event was a bit of scrum, an OAP scrum at that, at 46 I was a good 20+ years younger than the average “viewer” at this event. There were very strong lights around the car which was confusing my camera (and the operator).

DSCN0181_zps5pxdee5s.jpg

DSCN0182_zps0qk2krgw.jpg

(That's Mrs Red on the left in the wheelchair - well that's the back of Mrs Reds head anyhow).

So what did we think?

The good:-

Nice design, huge boot and a very good looking dashboard and infotainment centre.

The Bad:-

Some of the plastic trim was straight out of a 1986 XR3i and looked completely out of place as there were some quality materials.
The dashboard finish was poor on a vehicle of this price point, but I’m not sure this was pre production and not completely polished.

DSCN0184_zps9qhedknc.jpg

DSCN0185_zpswczpupd5.jpg

Lack of petrol engine choice and trim level for petrol engines. No light interior option colours on the 3.0 engines – to be fair, the JLR reps there said so many people have told them this that it will have to be introduced.

The best looking car there, the blue with Oyster leather, you can’t buy. It was a special edition 1st edition and is completely sold out and won’t be offered.

DSCN0176_zps2vnhmmwt.jpg

DSCN0178_zpsme6liffd.jpg

Colour choice – two reds and lots of monochrome. Somewhere there was a green and a blue but I couldn’t see them in the swatches.

What did it feel like?

It’s about the size of a C Class (width wise) but a little bit longer, and the boot is bigger than a C class but smaller than an E class. It felt a little bit tight in the front for me, but I’m used to an E class and an SL.

This is pretty squarely aimed at the GLC, Q5 market but the trim really lets it down, particularly if you’re ordering a 3.0 petrol or diesel which, with options, will be in the region of £60K.

I’ll go test drive one when it hits the showrooms in April, but I’m not sure this is on my radar any longer. We’re finding it very difficult to find anything to replace the E Class we currently have other than with another E. I think if they offer an E43 AMG 4 Matic Estate in the new model E (which I think they will – not sure about the 4 matic bit though) – which would arrive at about the same price at the 3.0v6 supercharged F-Pace – there’ll be no choice.

I caught up with one of these on the A46 near Longbridge Island yesterday and did a bit of a double-take when I saw the leaping cat on the tailgate.

Not my cup of tea, but with the current market focus on "soft roader" SUV's it'll probably sell by the bucketload.

Looks good, and I had considered it, but when I went to the local Jag dealership, the oily little salesman was positively wetting himself with delight when he said if I ordered one now, I couldn't expect to get it until early 2017. I am pleased JLR has a hit on its hands but my order has been for a GLC as I might even receive it in the next few months, apparently.

Is it on the same platform as the disco sport?
We went for the GLC over the ds as the luxury bits were all extra on the ds and I think it's the same on this.
Like the looks but having had a freeloader know how JLR dealers treat the not so rich can't afford the top spec...

When did Jag poach the designers at Volvo ?

As far it goes looks-wise....MEH....you'd need to pay me 60k to be seen in it !!!

Saw one on the road yesterday and it looked stunning. Probably the best realised car like 4x4 I think I've seen. Made Porsche's original Cayenne look like the freak show it was.

I think they look nice, just very disappointing inside and also a poor choice of engines.

Sit in one, then go and sit in a Mercedes GLC, the interior quality of the MB is just a different league.

Was looking at ordering one of these but the lead time was ridiculous so went disco4 instead, which fitted the needs a bit better as well. Totally different vehicles but I really like the look of the f-pace and very curious to see how it handles. Will be on my list in a couple of years when it's time to chop in the disco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom