Jaguar XKR Convertible - test drive report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
There are some amazing deals for new XKR-Cs available, so I decided to get this out of my system once and for all. I have always liked the XK, and have always imagined owning one.

I got this one this weekend for 24 hours:

2267544-16062517_zps026c622f.jpg

2267544-16062515_zps9ba5942e.jpg

2267544-16062514_zps490c55e3.jpg

XKR is a very accomplished car. The demo I had was equipped with the "Performance Active Exhaust" which really was sensational. Quiet when pootling, wicked and near illegal noises when vigorously flexing the right foot. Dynamically, it hides its weight very well, and flows beautifully once you get it in its stride through the corners with just the correct amount of throttle and weight transfer.

It feels a bit weird at first, but it sort of floats above the road .. this makes it feel very agile and athletic, like a much lighter and smaller car.

Overcook it though, and the mass comes flooding back.

Ride wise, it is firm and almost never crashy. It's a thing of wonder, considering it's on 20" wheels.

Power wise, it's as quick as the CLS if you are in dynamic mode. 6 speed box is excellent too, prompt changes, with some blipping on down changes.

Having said that, the Jag supercharged engine is not world class like the 55K engine .. remember that Jaguar introduced its supercharged engine about 3 years AFTER Mercedes pensioned off the 55K.

In isolation, the Jaguar 5 liter supercharged engine is a strong and high performing engine. What it does not have and does not give a perception of, is the 55K's relentless and near instantaneous urge and the 55K's sense of unbreakability and longevity. It's the perception of quality or the not quite there quality ...

My only gripes are with the infotainment system and the perceived quality. The touchscreen system is dated and requires too much back and forth, and the graphics are reminiscent of 386 processor PCs. The worse sin are the doors, they close with a clang, not a thud. And it does not make me feel that it would last the distance. The doors just ruin the whole experience for me -- all I can think of when I open or close the doors is how nasty and cheap they feel.

Interior quality simply isn't there; yes, much of it is covered in leather, but the standard is more Alfa Romeo than Mercedes. The leather on the seats are not a patch on my designo leather seats.

On top of all that, I don't like the seats .. too narrow and feel as if they are meant for a smaller car. Comfortable enough, but not seats you don't want to get out off.

The switch gear is brittle, light and mostly nasty .. some of it (the 3 rectangular switches just below the centre console screen) is worse than Fisher Price. Again, it feels cheap, light and just has no depth or feeling of quality.

It just does not feel expensive or that well constructed. It feels very average, and has no right to call itself an SL competitor.

Despite all that, it's a great car to drive and I can imagine flirting with one. I just can't imagine owning one, used or buying a new one even with a huge discount. I'm afraid I will tire of it much like a 2 year old moves on to his new Christmas toy when the shine of the Easter bunny has faded.

I had oscillated between wanting one and not wanting to spend the cash. But now, I know I don't want an XKR-C badly enough; the tech is too old, the quality is not nearly there, the seats are a compromise and most of all, I have no confidence in its engineering depth and integrity.

So, my old friend of nearly 4 years has again fought off another contender to its garage space :)

DSC_1192_zps5cc00110-1.jpg

Didn't Palmball have similar findings with the Jag?

Your CLS is a very accomplished car and looks great too.

. The worse sin are the doors, they close with a clang, not a thud. And it does not make me feel that it would last the distance. The doors just ruin the whole experience for me -- all I can think of when I open or close the doors is how nasty and cheap they feel.

I gather they have a team all over that.

The centre console switches look high quality, but the switches to the right of the steering wheel look very low quality, almost parts bin stuff.

In my E, they are a similar theme throughout.

Nice write up :thumb:.

Didn't Palmball have similar findings with the Jag?

Your CLS is a very accomplished car and looks great too.

he bought one, or was it 2?

he bought one, or was it 2?

The second one was due to issues with the first and him being lured by a "Fantastic" deal.
iirc. neither car actually made the grade.

Someone I know has got a supercharged Cabriolet and is a Jaguar die hard fan...but he is 70 years old.

Another neighbour had an XK from new and the reliability became a joke. Every time he went out in it it broke down.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd be judging JLR on they cars they launch from 2016. Those cars will be a truer reflection of JLR after the Tata buyout. I view the current line-out as more a stop-gap after the Ford years.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd be judging JLR on they cars the launch from 2016. Those cars will be a truer reflection of JLR after the Tata buyout. I view the current line-out as more a stop-gap after the Ford years.

that makes a lot of sense

XKR is Ford like, quality wise.

truth is, Ford quality now is pretty good.

Thanks, great review:thumb:...no surprises for me, JAG are still behind there competitors in terms of build quality, technology and low cost material development...however, surprisingly the F-Type R does have my attention, I think I may like it:eek: having seen many in the flesh as well... and I hate jags lol

The Reveal of the F-TYPE Coupe | Jaguar USA - YouTube

I had an XJ8 Sport (2004) and I loved it! It was beautifully built and the interior is the best interior in a car I have ever owned. It was also uber reliable! So when I decided after 2 years it was time to rekindle a bit of my youth I went to buy an XKR.

The interior was my first let down. It just wasn't like the XJ, it was more modern looking, but cheaper leather and trim. I was saddened as I really thought I was going to get a more youthful Jag with all the quiality of my old XJ.

Still I drove it and liked it and decided it would do as the better looks and dynamics outweighed the interior gripes. Then my mate suggested an SL.

Now I have always liked an SL looks wise so tried one even if I did have to go a couple of years older. I just felt it was the better all round package even though they are hardly without their faults so that is what I ended up with. That said I still like a nice XKR when I see one, but I think I made the right choice for me!

This is timely. I've been perusing xkr-s convertibles. Huge value for money....

the add on bits and pieces of flim flam on the front bumper and rear have turned a swan into an ugly ducking ..

I will have a close inspection, but I am not against the visual drama of the -s. Need to see it in the flesh to decide if i think it looks too OTT. I wouldn't go for the mad blue, but a black car which I think dresses it down some.

97k basic list, sub 60k with <2000 miles on. Not a bad place for 18 months.

Approved Used Jaguar Cars

it works much better on the Coupe .. and in darker colours.

make sure you drive one first.

I would also knock at least £5k off that price.

agreed - id want to be near 50 to be honest. Quite a few coupes in stock at the main dealers.

now the real question. can a 33 year old own a jag.....?

it appears the XKR S was designed with yoof like you in mind :)

Buy the Porsche. At 33 you have years ahead of you to run a Jaguar, but I don't think the XK is dynamically or qualitatively close to a 911. When the next one comes out, you can see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom