Jerky down shift on my beloved 208 CLK55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Topping

Car
CLK 55 AMG
I have read many of the threads regarding lumpy gear changes etc. but have not found one that meets my experience with the car.
Basically the gear change is quite abrupt when changing up at speed or when the car changes down.
If you press hard done on the accelerator, it goes down the gears ok but changes up badly when pressing on causing a violent jerk.
If I go into a roundabout fast it changes down and causes the traction control triangle to flash on the dash.
I hope this is making sense :confused:

As per Ollys suggestion, also check oil level!

-----EDITED------ as usuall someone was faster with answer...

First of all it might do it in voilent way (to certain level) if you reallystamp on it as you have AMG so there is some power. On other hand it still should do it civil way.

First of all.... have you checked fluid level? Have you done FULL gearbox srervice recently? Have you scan it? My W208 230K had similar problems with old fluid and when I change fluid (including torque converter) it was much better - not like new but much better.

thanks Guys,

the oil was changed by the previous owner about 40K miles ago

the most concerning aspect is the automatic change down when slowing causes the traction control to kick in and you can feel the back tyres bite as you enter a roundabout quite quickly :rolleyes:

thanks Guys,

the oil was changed by the previous owner about 40K miles ago

the most concerning aspect is the automatic change down when slowing causes the traction control to kick in and you can feel the back tyres bite as you enter a roundabout quite quickly :rolleyes:

That would be long enough to change it... specialy with your problems. Change it filter and fuild inside you torque converter.

Have you checked level recently?

I believe Olly recommends changing the oil every 40k or so. So therefore another change would probably be benificial :)

how do you check the level?

I don't think I have a dipstick

They dont come with dipstick. You need a tool to do so. You can buy it or give someone to check it (who has one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom