Joining a dual carriageway or motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
I've had two recent cases of cars attempting to join the dual carriageway as I was driving along in the left lane. They both seemed to expect, and try to force me to move into the right hand lane to let them in. In both cases the right hand lane was occupied.

Have others here had the same thing happen?

My understanding is that they need to give way to me...is that correct?

I stopped both cars and attempted to chat to the drivers, but they didn't seem to want to chat, I wonder why?

The first car was a couple in their late 50s, man driving. Their car was full of holiday stuff, blocking his visibility, but I'm sure his driver's side mirror was still working.

The second case involved a very rude mother who gave the 'anchor' sign with her hand. She risked the lives of her children in that manoeuvre, which is appalling.

Anyway, I'm sure this won't be the last incident like this, but what to do about it? I don't appreciate having my life endangered like this.

You were in the right. If they had been in a side road joining a major road would they expect to push in? No. Well they do in Portsmouth but that's a different matter.

The worst case scenario is where the driver on the motorway slows down to let someone join and they slow down as well. They eventually bring each other to a standstill. Saw this happen twice this week.

Personally I'll move over if the lane next to me is clear. If not they can swivel.

My understanding is that they need to give way to me...is that correct

Yes. Although good manners would be to move over or adjust speed to allow them to join IF practicable and safe. The single dashed white line separating a slip road from a dual carriageway or motorway MUST be treated as a Give Way line the same as the double dash white line at junctions or the single dash line at roundabouts.

However, it seems to be a rule that is observed more in the breach than the observance, just like every other Give Way line nowadays.

It appears to be a very common incident nowadays, the old rule of adjusting your approach speed on the slip road to match traffic on the main road and filter in seems to be lost in the ether...........it now seems to be "get out the f!"£$%g way I am coming in" approach.

I'm seeing this more often. I liken it to the same type of person that steps out onto a zebra crossing without looking or warning.

The reason for the slip road is to get up to speed and filter in to the main road.filter means that both parties,and particularly the person in the slow nearside lane allows the other one in safely

It's far more dangerous to stop at the end of the filter lane and wait( for someone to rear end you!)

Good drivers think ahead and anticipated vehicles joining the main road well ahead

In France there is a solid line at slip roads to facilitate this situation

Its plain stupid to think that you have right of way just because you are on the inside lane. Defensive driving is the best way

You were in the right. If they had been in a side road joining a major road would they expect to push in? No. Well they do in Portsmouth but that's a different matter.

The worst case scenario is where the driver on the motorway slows down to let someone join and they slow down as well. They eventually bring each other to a standstill. Saw this happen twice this week.

Personally I'll move over if the lane next to me is clear. If not they can swivel.

Danger of swivelling on you methinks!

First of all the end of the slip road will have Give Way lines - which mean exactly that. So those on the motorway have priority over those joining who should give way if necessary. However...

I despair that so many drivers fail to understand that to safely join fast moving traffic on a motorway they need to slot into a gap in the traffic. This means that they need to match their speed to that of the gap, which will be moving at the same speed as the traffic. Their failure to match their own speed to that of the traffic they're merging into is the cause of many problems.

Also, if you're on the main road and see a vehicle intending to merge, it's courteous to move out to lane two if possible as it helps the traffic flow. It's not a requirement to do so, but if it's possible to do it safely then it helps everyone. Of course if the lane to your right is occupied or you cannot safely move to the right because faster traffic is approaching in that lane already you should stay in the leftmost lane and its incumbent upon the driver on the slip road to give way to you.

In terms of what you can do about it, I suggest good observation and anticipation will go a long way. When approaching an on-slip it's also helpful to leave sufficient gap between you and the vehicle in front so that an entering vehicle can safely merge into it if necessary. Also remember that there's no consolation in being in an avoidable collision just because you were in the right. Sometimes it's better to just let an aggressive driver get on with it and keep well clear.

I've had two recent cases of cars attempting to join the dual carriageway as I was driving along in the left lane. They both seemed to expect, and try to force me to move into the right hand lane to let them in. In both cases the right hand lane was occupied.

I stopped both cars and attempted to chat to the drivers, but they didn't seem to want to chat, I wonder why?

It could be read that you've blocked their path then chased after them.

If I attempted to "have a chat" with everyone who slighted me on the roads, I'd never get to my destination.

Give and take.
Live and let live.
Treat others, blah, blah, blah.

As a pedestrian today I had someone drive straight at me on the pavement because the road was a a bit busy and he didn't want to wait, it doesn't matter most of the time you must just get on with life.

If a massive, tattoo bearing skinhead got in your way to the bar would you 'have a word'? Would you ****.

I agree Phil
Maybe however we are all thinking of different sliproads...those with give way= obvious
Those on motorways and fast dual carriageways= filter

My comments are to the latter

I don't appreciate having my life endangered like this.

Drive defensively then. It's a lot less hassle to back off (or speed up) for a second than to have to sort out the aftermath.

If a serious accident ensued you could get done for Driving without Due Care and Consideration (generic Careless Driving now) and if you stand up in court with a "why I should I give ground"" attitude then I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Give and take.
Live and let live.
Treat others, blah, blah, blah.

As a pedestrian today I had someone drive straight at me on the pavement because the road was a a bit busy and he didn't want to wait, it doesn't matter most of the time you must just get on with life.

If a massive, tattoo bearing skinhead got in your way to the bar would you 'have a word'? Would you ****.

Yes, I would. Two words, actually...

"After you."

You never can tell these days, they could be carrying anything and be an absolute nutter. I agree "After you"; You go in front so I can see what you are up to and I hope I see you wrap yourself around a lamp post.

Pulling on to the dual carriage way this week another Merc driver (pale blue Eclass) pulled from right hand to left lane after he over took a Lorry. Forced me to emergency stop at the end of a short slip road from which you join an uphill section of carriage way. Not best pleased was I at this appalling display of awareness and courtesy. The standard of driving is terrible of late , particularly noticeable when you commute at early hours and late eve. It's all about reading the road ahead and courtesy ladies and gents.

Just when I think I've read it all on this forum someone even more pedantic and self righteous pops up.

To the OP I've an idea. How about in future when this happens you just accept that not everyone is the greatest driver in the world like you and you just let them in and say 'tut tut' under your breath and then everyone just gets on with it?

'Having a word' and playing policeman with people over something like this is utterly pathetic and will get you a (somewhat deserved IMO) slap when you do it to the wrong person! And then you'll be whining on yet another thread about that :rolleyes:

Reactions: 219
Generally drivers are becoming less considerate, and mismatched speeds when merging from a slip road is a good example. That said the number of times this situation becomes dangerous can be reduced by leaving a slightly larger gap (than you might usually) between you and the vehicle in front.

To reduce the risk you only need to adjust your speed for a short while, and you only need to do so if the traffic is heavy and/or you're too close to the vehicle in front for another vehicle to join safely ahead of you. It's easy to anticipate because you'll see the junction ahead, assess the density of traffic, check the distance between you and the vehicle in front.

People just want to get from A to B. Driving etiquette is non-existent. Manners? They went out the window along with things like consideration, care, thoughtfulness.

cb1965 exemplifies this.

I still actually care about how I drive and how others think I drive. That is a wasted concept but it comforts me.

The only reason we don't see more road kill? is people worry about their tin being damaged, more than killing their fellow motorists, so they back off from the accident rather then drive in a manner that may have avoided the accident in the first place.

Some of the finest examples exist on the morning school run. Mum's arriving wearing their pyjamas!! WTF? can't be bothered to get dressed or wash themselves before jumping in the car. Says a lot about how they view the importance of driving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom