Jompy Boiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Sometimes the simplest inventions are the best. The Jompy boiler being a case in point. Jompy Invented by a Scottish plumber and destined to save thousands perhaps millions of young third world lives from misery and possibly death. Step forward David Osborne and take a bow. :thumb:

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would need this product.

Not a bad idea but if you have a heater and a cooking pot then just boil the water in the pot. For £49 you could buy a stove kettle.
Also, if you draw off water before it's hot enough you could actually increase the chance of disease.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would need this product.

Not a bad idea but if you have a heater and a cooking pot then just boil the water in the pot. For £49 you could buy a stove kettle.
Also, if you draw off water before it's hot enough you could actually increase the chance of disease.

"We at Jompy are determines the device makes a difference across Africa and the developing world.

The Jompy water boiler is a simple, easy to use device that allows the user to cook and boil water simultaneously saving on fuel and time spent over an open fire. The jompy will clean contaminated water reducing the chance of water borne diseases such as diarrhoea and cholera. UNICEF published that these diseases kill an estimated 1.5 million children a year. The jompy is an excellent solution in preventing these diseases that occur just from consuming contaminated water."

Whilst I understand that, surely the water should be boiled rather than heated - in which case its probably less risky to simply use a saucepan.

A saucepan wont block up either, nor cost £50.

Last edited:
Whilst I understand that, surely the water should be boiled rather than heated - in which case its probably less risky to simply use a saucepan.

A saucepan wont block up either.

"The Jompy heats up so fast that it means you will use 60% Less gas than if boiling water in a saucepan."

It does boil the water...apparently.

" Reduced smoke – reduced respiratory and eye problems
• Flames from the fire are trapped under the device and pot, therefore less risk of clothes catching fire
• Proven to kill bacteria
• Reduces water-borne diseases like cholera, dysentery, and diarrhoea
• No maintenance or moving parts"

Last edited:
Pretty lame and transparently flawed justifications imho.

In the videos they serve up water at 60 deg not 100 and even that was a trickle. I wonder how you can ensure all the water is boiled too without an expensive temperature guage.

I'm not sure how many sub saharans could afford a gadget like this either. I recon it'll also gunge up in no time unless the water is particularly clean.

Think the idea is that you cook your food and heat the water simul-tan--eous--ly. If you have to gather your cooking fuel by hand and carry it home from a large geographical area and you have one receptacle/pot to cook in you might think its a good idea also. Doubt if it will cost £50 in the third world. Sometimes I think people have no idea about the extent of the grinding poverty some people in the third world suffer- they literally have no possessions the clothes they stand up in and if they are lucky a roof over their heads.

Sorry, I still think it is a lame idea best served by the likes of QVC. He may sell thousands but I doubt many will ever end up helping those in need.

The inventor is Scottish though so I can understand your defensive stance.

Its inventions like this that make me proud to be English.

As a Doncastrian and also recently officially Scottish, I think that this is a wonderful invention.

As a Doncastrian and also recently officially Scottish, I think that this is a wonderful invention.

When / how does this happen - I demand to know!

Seems like a good idea, although at £50 a pop I too wonder how many will get to those in most need.

It looks a bit like a complicated solution to a problem that does not really exist.

Then again, what do I know? After all, I bought Betamax!

A simple, fuel saving way of boiling water in Africa...that's the problem...solved.

A good idea with all sorts of uses, central heating around the camp fire anyone?

A simple, fuel saving way of boiling water in Africa...that's the problem...solved.

If it was solar powered, then it would be a different matter... there's plenty sunshine in Africa.

Sometimes I think people have no idea about the extent of the grinding poverty some people in the third world suffer- they literally have no possessions the clothes they stand up in and if they are lucky a roof over their heads.

Just been to Kenya and Zanzibar, never saw an unhappy face (admittedly it wasn't anywhere near Dadaab refugee camp). I did however meet a Masai chap who had 5 wives and 42 yes 42 children, how many will live to maturity I don't know but it did lead me to believe that perhaps 42 kids 1 father was a little excessive! It may be better to not have so many children in the first place and concentrate on bringing a few healthy ones into the world not relying on weight of numbers so to speak. Just my thoughts really, maybe it's about time they stopped relying on survival of the fittest which is what they do at the moment.:doh:

Doubt if it will cost £50 in the third world. Sometimes I think people have no idea about the extent of the grinding poverty some people in the third world suffer- they literally have no possessions the clothes they stand up in and if they are lucky a roof over their heads.

"For every Jompy sold online at Jompy | instant hot water outdoors, one African family will receive their own Jompy."

I think Jompy should have changed his name to Bunny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom