Juddering wiper blades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sean2e0saf

Car
C220 w204
Anyone tell me how to cure juddering wiper blades on 2007 c220 w204 they are very very annoying indeed...

I have new bosch blades fitted so not cheapo rubbish...

The drivers side mainly flops around and causes the most noise

Thanks

I bought Bosch blades which did the same, after only a month I changed them for Valeo blades, problem solved.

Russ

This requires some trust. But it is true...

> Cut a potato in half.
> Wipe the screen with the (now cut end) of the potato.
> Do the same with the blades.
> Rinse screen in clean fresh water.
> Test wipers?

It may well be, the cleaner that you are using that is causing sticking between the glass and the rubber blades. As said above. Certain blades do seem worse/better for this, as do certain car cleaning products.

A dedicated Glass Cleaner like Meguiars may help and save on your potato bill for the future. But the potato does work and works well.

For absolute clarity here :^)

Please use a raw/uncooked potato (any variety). Do not use Auntie Bessie's Oven Ready Roastie's, other well known brands are available. Mashed potato would just be silly and difficult to cut.

Last edited:
I'd be going over the screen with some fine wire wool to get rid of any marring/streaking first, just make sure that you blow any residue off before trying the wipers. :)

@Bruce: The potato thing was taught me many years ago by an old lorry driver. He always had one in his cab just in case his wipers packed in, and reckoned that he could then carry on with his journey without them as the rain just beaded off.

I've never tried it though...

Try cleaning the screen and blades with methylated spirits. I also use Auto Glym glass polish.

I have had awful juddering on both my new E class cars.

I tried every cleaner I could find including fine wire wool.

In the end I took the problem to the dealership general manager who assembled various department heads.

The body shop manager took the car away and whilst I drank coffee worked on giving the screen a thorough cleaning.

When the car was returned the wipers were much improved but still juddered slightly.

The manager then arranged for 3 other E class cars to be checked.

It was noted none of them were majestically sweeping the screen but none were as bad as mine when it was first taken in.

My car was much better but still juddered under certain circumstances, seemed worse when rain was heavy which seemed strange.

I asked the body shop manager what they had done to improve the wiper sweep, he said they had scraped the screen and gone to work with the wire wool, then used a screen cleaner.

I had prior to taking the car in done loads of cleaning but as I was concerned about damaging the screen I plainly did not give it enough elbow grease.

I may try some Valero wipers.

I did buy some Bosch blades but they appeared and felt identical to Mercedes ones minus the wear indicator.

Good luck with getting your car sorted.

It beats me why the Mercedes wipers seem so poor, my wife's Aygo sweeps the screen with no sign of any judder at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife's Peugeot judders all the time. I'm going to try the potato.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

tbh, i had bosch blades on my E for years with no juddering, changed them for MB ones and i noticed a little juddering last time i drove in the rain.

maybe bosch\mb have changed the wiper rubber composite recently

My S203 used to judder no matter what I tried. Took it into MB and explained and the service manager told me dealerships have a jig they can use to adjust the 'angle of attack' of the wiper arm.

30min later the car was back and no judder. He said sometimes when the blades are changed the arms can be twisted slightly causing the judder.

If the screen and blades are clean then juddering can be caused by incorrect blade angle.
It should be perpendicular to the screen so they flex enough to clear the water on both strokes.
If it is not perpendicular when the blade is moving with the acute angle trailing, the blade skips and judders.
There is a special tool to twist the wiper arm, which is a slotted piece of metal with a handle.

Just like wot he said above. Written whilst I was writing my reply. :)

Sounds like your dealer is trying their best (which is to be applauded) tension in the springs may also be a factor. If the dealer is willing you ask them to try and "adjust" this by stretching the spring slightly.

I put rain x adative in it goes ok for about 20 mins then judders again... its one of the most annoying noises you can listen to.... especially sat in traffic.. i may try the valeo blades see how that goes once my rain x has ran out i will try cleaning etc..

Its currently booked into mercedes warrington for a srs module upgrade apparently there is a srs module issue thats been flagged up as being a issue so merc have recalled it. So i may mention it then to them as well...

noisy wiper blades

I had the same problem try with 2 adjustable spanners , on the blade arm hold the arm hallway up and forcing the opposite direction with the other spanner twist slightly so the angle of the wiper blade is bent down so the blade sweeps at a different angle, you may have to try a few times , but it made a difference to mine, also if the blades are over 12 months old , replace with Bosch blades, that cured mine, all the best, ps this sort of thing did not happen on my 90s Mercedes ?

Anyone tell me how to cure juddering wiper blades on 2007 c220 w204 they are very very annoying indeed...

I have new bosch blades fitted so not cheapo rubbish...

The drivers side mainly flops around and causes the most noise

Thanks

I've found that only genuine MB blades are 100% OK and they seem to last better too.

RayH

Carefully check the mounting on the capstain, the hinge at the lower end of the arm, and the integrety of the mounting adapter at the blade end.... any play at all will either cause juddering of make it worse.

After an experiment comparing VERY-VERY cheap blades and very expensive ones, I now use the cheapest blades I can get. Never have a problem, once the above has been attended to..

Last edited:
I had mine fitted at my local indy, no problems whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom