Just as well I didn't wait for the next S212 350 CGI.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Back in March I'd seen one low mileage but low-specced 350 estate in Cambs and narrowly missed another one in Leeds (higher miles, better spec, cheap). Prompted out my misery by Biglips I then grabbed a 500 saying to my wife "they're like hen's teeth - if I don't get this one I might have wait ages".

Ages being (in terms of Autotrader ads) being nothing short of seven months. I may have forgotten on or two (but I don't think so) so here is what I think is only the 4th 212 V6 or V8 petrol S212 this year that's not an AMG.

Decent spec but a very toppy asking price.....

Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.5 E350 BlueEFFICIENCY Avantgarde 5dr

Daft price, but not so daft if somebody pays it. Food for thought, though; you could get a similar -spec E350 diesel (Euro VI) less than half its age for not a huge amount more than that...

Daft price, but not so daft if somebody pays it. Food for thought, though; you could get a similar -spec E350 diesel (Euro VI) less than half its age for not a huge amount more than that...
Have to agree. A (younger) E350 diesel would be more tempting at this price level....

Have to agree. A (younger) E350 diesel would be more tempting at this price level....

I suppose they've priced it to see if there are buyers in London who either (a) don't want to do the diesel thing because of fear of further retribution or who (b) feel it's just not right to drive a smoker round town where people are breathing.

Don't think they'll get the price but I assume that's the logic.

Even so it's a daft price. The Euro VI engines are pretty much as clean as the petrols, though I suppose a fully-paid-up member of the chattering classes might not have the wit to do any research on the matter, and might be stupidly impressed by low mileage.

My 2008 had done 91k miles. It did not have the reversing camera, the memory package, the fully electric front seats, the integrated rear child booster seats, the electric tailgate, or the Advanced Parking Guidance, but it did have the Sport suspension and trim package and 18"" alloys. All else was the same apart from the colour.

That is a well-specified, low mileage and attractive car, but their asking price is just under three-and-a-half times what mine sold for after nigh on two months of dropping the price to sell it.

It's an idiotic price; it will need an idiot to pay it. I wouldn't bet that there isn't an idiot out there, though...

Even so it's a daft price. The Euro VI engines are pretty much as clean as the petrols, though I suppose a fully-paid-up member of the chattering classes might not have the wit to do any research on the matter, and might be stupidly impressed by low mileage.

It's an idiotic price; it will need an idiot to pay it. I wouldn't bet that there isn't an idiot out there, though...

It's interesting to listen to people in London who have only a passing interests in cars switching 180 degrees from "I must have a diesel" to "I can't possibly buy a diesel now".

Even though a Euro VI diesel is, theoretically, just about as clean a Euro V petrol in terms of particulates and NOx.

My bet is that they'll pile into hybrids as that seems to be what TFL want. And for a city environment that actually makes sense.

Me? I worked at home on Monday, cycled to work today and will be on the tube tomorrow.

I used to work in the car trade fairly close to where this dealer is so as a matter of interest I just checked them out. I quickly found three different trading names for them, definitely not a reassuring sign. Not a place I'd go to to buy a car. And yes, even this petrol loving MB guy thinks the E350 is a bit pricey.

It's interesting to listen to people in London who have only a passing interests in cars switching 180 degrees from "I must have a diesel" to "I can't possibly buy a diesel now". Even though a Euro VI diesel is, theoretically, just about as clean a Euro V petrol in terms of particulates and NOx.

Silly sods.

My bet is that they'll pile into hybrids as that seems to be what TFL want. And for a city environment that actually makes sense.

If I commuted into London, and even more if I lived in London, a hybrid might well make sense. I don't, and I don't, so not for me.

Diesels, hybrids and petrol cars are optimised for different driving regimes. When electric cars with decent performance, a 300-mile range, the ability to be recharged in ten minutes then cover another 300 miles, and the certainty of being able to be recharged as conveniently as a fossil fuel car can now be refuelled, are available at sensible cost, we'll all have one. It might be a while...

If I commuted into London, and even more if I lived in London, a hybrid might well make sense. I don't, and I don't, so not for me.

Diesels, hybrids and petrol cars are optimised for different driving regimes. When electric cars with decent performance, a 300-mile range, the ability to be recharged in ten minutes then cover another 300 miles, and the certainty of being able to be recharged as conveniently as a fossil fuel car can now be refuelled, are available at sensible cost, we'll all have one. It might be a while...

I see loads of Teslas round my way these days and Leaf's, Zoe's, etc

And plenty of hybrids.

I guess the former are fine as long as you don't try to take the family further than, say Manchester or Cornwall with a stop for juice.

The latter if you want the leccie round town and the range out of it.

Nothing new about a dealer testing the market for an extremely rare car with a high price.

Personally, I can't buy a diesel after the grief I've seen some suffer in maintenance costs, on top of the whole engine sound / performance issue. Someone, one day will explain why the UK market has got itself into this E63 or diesel situation. Doesn't make any sense to me, or my American friends. (And that's without going into the Estate vs SUV thing again for Suburban living)

As has already been said, the validity of the price is in the deal. When someone actually buys it, it's the right price, whatever it ends up being. (And obviously that's usually a few bob less than asking price)

If I hadn't stuck myself with a perfect S500L with exotic provenance and silly low mileage, I'd buy this E350 for £15k. (But I'd rather have an E500...)

My 2008 had done 91k miles. It did not have the reversing camera, the memory package, the fully electric front seats, the integrated rear child booster seats, the electric tailgate, or the Advanced Parking Guidance, but it did have the Sport suspension and trim package and 18"" alloys. All else was the same apart from the colour.

That is a well-specified, low mileage and attractive car, but their asking price is just under three-and-a-half times what mine sold for after nigh on two months of dropping the price to sell it.

So, it was different colour, had a lot less kit...but otherwise it was exactly the same? lol ie it was a w212?

So, it was different colour, had a lot less kit...but otherwise it was exactly the same? lol ie it was a w212?

I say again: That is a well-specified, low mileage and attractive car, but their asking price is just under three-and-a-half times what mine sold for.

Do you think it's worth the asking price? I don't.

I also say again: It's a daft price.

If I hadn't stuck myself with a perfect S500L with exotic provenance and silly low mileage, I'd buy this E350 for £15k. (But I'd rather have an E500...)

I'm having a real dilemma at the moment, having just bought an R Class. I can't bare to part with my E500 estate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom