Just drove the new 520d...oh dear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drocter

Car
XJ8 4.2 'Cabinet Spec'
Was looking for a company car for the wife this weekend and inevitably ended up at the local Beemer merchant. Ended up taking the new 520d out for a spin, purely out of interest.

I'm sorry to say and it's no real suprise, but it's stunningly good!!

I'm getting tired of this. Mercedes release an excellent new E Class and then a year later BM come in and trounce it with their 5. Anyone recall E39 528i and 530d months after the W210 and then E60 after W211?

This time they've really gone and done it..it's even good value, 8 speed auto and interior are a revelation.

Makes me think though, do I just keep choosing benz because I'm plain stubborn and following a perceived sense of quality. Don't like to think I've been had, but drive one of these things and I think you will too :(

No surprises to see the propeller badge exceding the three pointed star when it comes to engine technology and driving experience.

Mercedes old selling point of built from rock quality and longevity/reliability will take some getting back, and as cars get more (too ?) complex they have a hell of a job on their hands.

People worry about buying a used W211 and its reliability/cost of repairs, but don't when it comes to older models ! Says it all.

'Tis the way the OEMs works. You identify who is your benchmark and you set out to beat it in the key areas you've defined.

BMW and MB obviously watch each other quite closely and will try to best each other without compromising what they see as the core values of the brand. The latest model is always likely to outperform the older one in the overlap areas.

Was looking for a company car for the wife this weekend and inevitably ended up at the local Beemer merchant. Ended up taking the new 520d out for a spin, purely out of interest.

I'm sorry to say and it's no real suprise, but it's stunningly good!!
The guys in Whatcar thought it was rather good and I have to say the the interior noise level was the lowest I have ever seen on any road test. If that noise level translates subjectivly, the performance and economy are hard to fault. Would it be quieter and as much fun as the CLS and use even less fuel?:devil:

In Autocar's latest E-Class vs 5-Series face-off (based on 212), the MB was chosen as the better car.

For a well spec'ed car, I found that MB is better value for money, too. As far as I can see, the main thing against the E-Class is its previous-generation engines, but I see that MB has some interesting new engines and engine technologies coming through at present and in the near future.

As before, though, I suspect it is going to be Airmatic that swings it in MB's favour when I next upgrade.

I would struggle to buy either a 212 or a 5 Series - too ugly !

Haven't tried one so can't comment on the driving experience or build quality but for looks the XF would be the one for me.

Guess I'll be sticking with the 211 :D

In Autocar's latest E-Class vs 5-Series face-off (based on 212), the MB was chosen as the better car.

For a well spec'ed car, I found that MB is better value for money, too. As far as I can see, the main thing against the E-Class is its previous-generation engines, but I see that MB has some interesting new engines and engine technologies coming through at present and in the near future.

As before, though, I suspect it is going to be Airmatic that swings it in MB's favour when I next upgrade.

Can't quite understand Autocar's opinion in this instance

As far as the 520d goes, it has leather, bluetooth and cruise with radar stop assistance etc as standard!!!..costs £90 a year to tax, does 55+ to the gallon (I got 45 on my run and wasn't hanging about) and goes like the clappers

Because of residuals, CO2 and appeal, the 520d was coming in at same cost as C200 CDI in terms of company car cost for my wife..

I've got a bit of an issue with MB re: efficient engines at the mo having ordered an E350 and even their forthcoming units, fall far behind the Beemer ones...it's about time they got their act together:devil:

The guys in Whatcar thought it was rather good and I have to say the the interior noise level was the lowest I have ever seen on any road test. If that noise level translates subjectivly, the performance and economy are hard to fault. Would it be quieter and as much fun as the CLS and use even less fuel?:devil:

Where a bouts on What Car can you find the road noise levels?

8 speed box ?

Any more gears and it would never be in one :)

Where a bouts on What Car can you find the road noise levels?

For the last few months the main road tests in the magazine (that's that paper stuff;)) have been giving noise levels at 30 and 70mph. Merc E220 at 60 and 68dba, BMW520 at 58 and 65dba.
Sad, but I do like my technical data!:eek: I guess there's a clue in the my forum name...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom