Just spoke to previous owner of my Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Bird

Car
Mercedes C200 stunning condition Rare Red 1999
Bought 1999 C200 auto in Magma red from a dealer so only got limited info ,Car is immaculate and appears rust free with very low miles for year 56K.Chap now retired needed a smaller more frugal car so took the merc to various dealers who offered him between £300-£600 he reluctantly accepted £600 being assured he was being done a favour .Chap had noticed a year earlier some slight rust coming through on arches so rubbed down and applied red lead paint and thats how the car left him .It has obviously been painted between it leaving him and me buying it so we will have to see how that goes. He never used a metal key in all the time he had it possibly explaining why locks are reluctant to budge he assumes alarm works but again couldnt be sure ,not long before he decided to get rid he had it in his local garage to change gearbox fluid and check air con he needed the car back same day - the air con came up fine on machine but on trying to remove some bung to do gearbox bung/bolt wouldnt budge knowing he wanted car back they said it was perhaps better he return the car when he had more time as they where worried something might shear - car was never returned to garage but sold.He tells me a British soldier in Germany purchased the car in germany and shipped it back Hence being specced up - different boot lid - White dials - Auto air con - folding mirrors etc etc.Told me he has never had a seconds problem with car and paid £4000 in 2008.

I paid £1650 for the above beauty including 6 months road tax - since leaving last owner it appears to have lost chrome surrounds to rear lights - and chrome front number plate surround it also had superb seat covers that went awol but seats are mint due to there use.A bit of a hike £600 to £1530 i paid albeit having a little paint sprayed on the arches the poor chap was a bit gutted .He advises i change g/box fluid - rear brake hoses (slight perishing of rubber) and he says a shock absorber type thing on front of engine had slight play .He looks forward to me presenting car at Ripon classic show so he can lay eyes on it again..

Always good to have a bit of history and personal touch with the previous owner.

You paid what you thought it was worth and now with a bit of history it is worthy of that price and you now know what has been changed and not.

Good Luck David.

Think its due a general service he worked on milege re servicing and due to it only doing 14k in his 4yrs of ownership i think it only got 2 services one in 2008 and another in 2010 although the 2010 does appear fairly comprehensive 4 filters - oil - plugs - brake pads and sensors front .

I also like to talk to the previous owner if possible, it’s nice to hear a bit of the cars history. Without talking to the owner I am constantly looking for clues to its history & how its been treated. In most cases the previous owners are also happy to talk about the car.

My 210 in Uk I bought at auction & later contacted the previous owner who was a real p!!!k. Didn’t want to talk to me at all. I think he thought I was a bit weird asking him about his old car. If I had been buying the car privately from him I would have walked away. I then thought I had bought a lemon due to him not wanting to talk to me. Luckily after 6yrs the car has been OK.

Last edited:
I am fortunate the previous owner is a real Gent - Been in the motor trade much of his working life i believe - He cherished the car and was extremely sad to see it go but needs must. The same chap is on the commitee of Ripon Clasiic car meet and organises the military and commercial side .He said to ring him anytime about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom