Jvc Kd-lhx551

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MangoMan

MB Enthusiast
Car
2001 W208 CLK320 Coupe Almandine-Black. (Looks Purple-ish).
Thinking of getting one of these, (really cheap) for my car to replace original.

Does anybody have any idea what they are like, and are they easy to fit? (Cable-wise)

Also a related question; I found something under the rear parcel shelf in the boot, it's quite thin, about 3/4" thick and about 7" long by about 5" wide. It's not a Disc changer or anything like that, I thought it could be the Amp for the Radio......any ideas??? :confused:

Thanks, Bill. :)

Last edited:
I have the exact same set in the r170
No problems fitting, just used the surround that came with it and it plugs straight into the car harness with no modification at all.
The display is a bit gimmicky - all the different colours (one for each input if you like!)
I have found that sometimes the name display doesn't work as you expect - you get album/artist/song title on the same line (the bottom one) - haven't investigated why yet.
The sound is great - I'm no expert, but I've set the equalizer to rock, and it's fine - none of the nasty tinniness, and not so much bass that it gives me a headache.
I wired a cable to the aux input, so her ladyship can plug in her ipod - works perfectly, but obviously doesn't display content (so I've got the display changing colour in that mode)
I put my tracks onto a couple of SD cards, and I've burnt a couple of cds (10 - 13 albums per cd) so her ladyship plays her stuff, and I can play mine with little fuss.
One thing to note - the touch screen is a bit hit and miss - sometimes a light touch, and sometimes a heavy tuch is needed, but don't worry, the nice lady gives you feedback.
One nice feature is the tilting display. It's motorized, and means that the display is at the best angle for you.
The r/c is a bit of a waste of time in most cars, but even more so in the slk.
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. It's just gimmicky enough to be a boys toy without being too chavvy, sounds good, looks & feels well made, and has a good sound.
Ask away if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
Thanks Ted, a very helpful review.

I can't wait to get it and put it in the old lady seeing as the original has a real bad contact on the Volume control, and is only Tape/Radio. I'm getting it mainly because I had a JVC with MP3 versatility, so all my music for the car is on CD/MP3. SD card being quite new to me, but will give it a go. Plus I'm getting it for only £70, quite a bargain I thought, s/h though, but only months old. Came out of a write-off.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes..... ;)

Ciao for now, Bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom