K & N Filters, any merit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having had K&N and the like in the past, I think the best thing about them in previous cars was the air induction noise but in terms of performance I rarely felt any sort of difference

Having had K&N and the like in the past, I think the best thing about them in previous cars was the air induction noise but in terms of performance I rarely felt any sort of difference
^^^^^^^
This.....

If they're open cone filters then you'll get a great noise but at the same time likely suck in warmer air so may even be detrimental to the performance. I've had cone filters on a couple of cars though and they do sound awesome though.

Panel filters are probably better than OEM and you can clean and re-use them, something like a million mile warranty on them I believe. Not sure they'd offer any other benefits though really.

A million mile warranty? Rather like a watch accurate to 1/2 second in 125000 years.

Or a 155MpH car in the UK...?

(Come on, not everyone lives near a disused private airfield or takes the car to track days...)

It's one of those irrational things we all do.... you'll never need or use it but it's kind of nice to know it's there.

Are K & N filters worth fitting to my W211 E500?
Obviously there website sings their praises - but no idea if its worth the £80 - or do I just stick with original ones
Thanks
IMO i would stick to oem items.

If the engine is standard then in most cases the OEM airbox is best, however with modified units (as this OM606 clearly is) there are other factors to consider, including packaging constraints and/or as in this case the required airflow that a filter has to cope with.

I can guarantee that the standard OM606 airbox with its cold air feed would not be able to supply the required airflow of 27,000ltr/min and would result in a substantially lower power output.

Move it outside the engine bay? I've used a pair of even bigger filters in my 211 and they sit in the high pressure area behind the bumper, slightly above the fog lights.

I discovered the previous owner had fitted K+N's after a dealer service. Obviously kept them (and gave them a clean using the official 'recharge' kit) , but probably wouldn't have bothered buying in the first place tbh.

Still the induction noise is pleasant enough- I mic'ed up the intake for this clip : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BySBU-oLNBq9cENIUHpMTHd4WmM
(not that I've got anything to compare it to...)

I’ve always preferred BMC to K&N after problems with oil fouling the MAF

Yup, me too.
I have 2 sets.
One set in use and one clean set ready to use.

Used to have K&N’s.
Didn’t have any issues with them.

Switched to BMC’s because they came with my Renntech intakes.

Visually/ design wise, they do look
more free-flowing.
Happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom