Kennedy Motor Company w116 conversions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfatwopsex

Car
mercedes w116 450 sel
Hi, I am new to this site and my reason for joining is that I need some help making a decision,I bought a w116 sel a couple of years ago on ebay, its the brown one in the photos, the car is in good condition , nice leather interior clean underneath runs and sounds great, but is fitted with a very rare ,unusual, and most would say ugly Kennedy Motor Company body kit, lorinser rear boot spoiler and compomotive split rims and fully de-chromed, all done in the early eighties.My dilemma is do I remove the body kit and put it back to original, which I have all the bits to do, or should I leave it as it is with it all being period, I just cant decide.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image19765.jpg
    image19765.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image19766.jpg
    image19766.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image19747.jpg
    image19747.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 25
more pictures

as you can see two of these photos are period, early eighties[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image19764.jpg
    image19764.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 16
  • mb450selbodykit1685ix0.jpg
    mb450selbodykit1685ix0.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 16
  • mb450selbodykit2685wh7.jpg
    mb450selbodykit2685wh7.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 24
Some tunners really had no taste hence why they never lasted long
I say move the kit as it looks horrid and it`ll look one hell of a car

PS:Welcome to the forum

I would say it depends on what you find underneath that body kit? I personally prefer cars that look the way they were designed but its really down to the owners personal taste. I reckon original would be more valuable on resale but I doubt the body kit would be worth much except to a dedicated collector who might pay over the odds if you could find one?

They are all standard now, its so rare to find a period modded w116 these days.. I say, as long as its reversable (and the bits remain readily available unlike the kit) id keep it the way it is.....

Just mint it up and it will look interesting, different and unique in its own way, lets remember w116's were never the prettiest of things in the first place ....

Also bear in mind, the kit has been in situ for knocking on 30 years now, so most of the cars life so sometimes respect should be shown to something that survived so long....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom