Kenwood woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrgoatpants

Car
109 vito
Hi all,

My first thread so be gentle. I have upgraded my 639 Vito stereo, but I am having trouble with it turning on/off. It seems like it has a mind of it's own. Initially it wouldn't turn on, open the side door it came to life. It would then turn off when the door switch was being made and come on again. When started it wouldn't come until the key was taken out of the ignition. I have had to turn it off on the button. Just to reiterate, it goes off for a second as soon as you open or close any door including the rear. I used the Kenwood harness that came with it and I have no steering wheel controls. :dk:

Wired incorrectly. Sounds like it's wired to the door light or interior light circuit?

In most cases you cannot just use a harness adaptor as there is not switched live on modern cars, they all use canbus.

The stereo needs to be compatible with the steering controls and may require a separate loom

Hi all,

My first thread so be gentle. I have upgraded my 639 Vito stereo, but I am having trouble with it turning on/off. It seems like it has a mind of it's own. Initially it wouldn't turn on, open the side door it came to life. It would then turn off when the door switch was being made and come on again. When started it wouldn't come until the key was taken out of the ignition. I have had to turn it off on the button. Just to reiterate, it goes off for a second as soon as you open or close any door including the rear. I used the Kenwood harness that came with it and I have no steering wheel controls. :dk:

Get a decent Connects2kit

Do you mean the steering controls don't work? Or you don't have them fitted

It's just a bog standard Audio 5 unit that's coming out and no, bog standard steering wheel w/o controls. Seems like every harness I get is the wrong bloody one. :fail

Trust me.. I had this too when I installed an Alpine head unit.. Its not wired correctly. I can't remember what the answer is though.. it would mean me having to take the dash apart to find out.. sorry I can't be of more help, maybe PM Zenman for an answer?? :dk:

It's just a bog standard Audio 5 unit that's coming out and no, bog standard steering wheel w/o controls. Seems like every harness I get is the wrong bloody one. :fail

Model and year of vehicle?

My colleague has a Vito ( 09 reg from memory ) which he bought new .

He upgraded to a Sony unit with Bluetooth for his phone , and it was plug and play with the standard ISO connectors already in there - very easy 5 minute swap .

As someone mentioned earlier about can-bus the switched live works via the can bus. You have two options either supply a switched live from the ignition to the yellow wire which is the switch live (I think??) on the Kenwood harness or buy a connects2 kit which translates the can bus signals to the Kenwood unit, as you mentioned that you don't have steering wheel remote my suggestion is to run a switched live yourself from the ignition to the correct wire on the head unit so when the ignition is on the head unit is on.

Vito 2010 pre facelift

Connects2 Ltd

Relevant harness, depending on which radio was fitted before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom