key fob not working&radio signal is weak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
Hello there members
Both my remote key fobs have stopped locking/unlocking the car, I checked the batteries on the off chance that both lots of batteries had failed but they were both ok. I then looked on google & it stated to check fuse number 8 in the boot which I did & it was blown so I changed it but it blew again. The previous google info I had stated that it could also be the batteries in the alarm siren which is located behind the well liner on the passenger side. Can anybody advise me whet to do & how to get to the alarm siren please?

Have you tested whether your alarm works to rule out failed siren?

Open a window, lock the car then reach in and disturb the motion sensor.

If the siren fails to go off, then you need a new siren which is around £100
You'll need a security torx bit to undo the siren, which on my E class is behind the o/s/f rear wheel arch liner. Unfortunately, I can't confirm which side a CLK fits the siren.

You only have to unplug the old siren, refit the new one and connect the plug and it should be fine. The new sirens are supposed to chirp when you lock the door.

OI had the exact same problem in my CLK which turned out to be the alarm siren. The batteries corrode and short out causing the fuse to blow, which also powers the amps for the central locking and radio antennae.

The alarm is indeed behind the front passenger wheel. Remove the wheel, unclip the wheel arch liner. You'll find the alarm on the lower right of the wheel arch. You can unplug it to see if that's the fault in your case. Replace the fuse - if it doesn't blow everything else should kick back into life, apart from the siren of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom