Key marks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Came back to car to find what appears to be key marks?

Can't remember seeing them before :mad:

Any advice to remove them?

IMG_2884.jpg

Keys? Or simply finger nails?

I'd try polishing them out..

It's nail marks, 99% of used cars would have those on the inside of the handles. Also a real pain to polish out... They would have been there before, you must have just noticed.

Never seen a car that doesnt have them...

Constant abrasion from the opening and shutting of doors. Nothing remotely new or unusual about those.

Easy enough to polish out, just some cutting compound, a soft cloth and patience needed!

Cheers guys

As it's under the handle - it's pretty difficult to get a polishing cloth under with any force. I guess the best way is to remove the handle and then polish?

A good rub with Auto Glym super resin will sort that, no need to take the door handles off.

I'm doubtful, but hopefully I'm wrong.

The way that I've seen these fixed is by a cone shaped foam attachment for the drill and cutting compound.

PowerCone3_web.jpg

I don't think that AG SRP will do much to it, however there will be an improvement.

You can pull the handle open with one hand and then just work the polish/cloth up/down, then side to side etc. Even something like T-cut will do fine, it's not a massive area.

10 minutes work tops :)

No fancy tools needed :thumb:

You can pull the handle open with one hand and then just work the polish/cloth up/down, then side to side etc. Even something like T-cut will do fine, it's not a massive area.

10 minutes work tops :)

No fancy tools needed :thumb:

Thanks will keep you posted :)

A good rub with Auto Glym super resin will sort that, no need to take the door handles off.

I'd give the SRP a go too. It's not abrasive but will fill in those marks and make them look loads better.

It's quite a common thing for finger nails to mark like that but they won't be deep scratches. :thumb:

I would always try by hand first before attempting any tools.

A decent Microfibre towel and a tube of Wilko's £3.00 scratch remover with some gentle pressure, should see that lot gone in no time. Oh and buy some nail scissors for your wife. Think of the mess on your back.

A small blob of T-Cut on a soft cloth on the end of your finger and lightly rub in a circler motion will remove them. Then after the T-Cut powders, buff off with the soft cloth and repeat if all marks have not been removed. When you are happy with the finish apply a small amount of wax polish and buff with another soft cloth when dry. Job done.

Tesco value polish on a microfibres and 80% gone

Will repeat tomorrow and hopefully fully gone :)

IMG_2992.jpg

Tesco polish :D (£2 and bought a while back when only shop near/open was Tesco haha
On top of microfibres) quick hand polish (20 seconds max)

Like new! Then finished with SONAX detailer

Proper job. Now cut your nails or stop wearing false ones:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom