Keys and EIS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210Virgin

Car
2002 S210 Avantgarde 320CDi in silver. Black leather interior
Hi all, calling on key and EIS experts. I've a '02 210 car with both original keys. Until now both of them have been working fine although a bit tatty. They're the old style pre chrome finish. The other day when I went to start the car, after a totally normal remote unlock, one of the keys would not operate in the normal manner. The ignition did nothing at all. Zilch. The other key works perfectly well. I've tried the 'faulty' key a few times since but it still does nothing other than locking and unlocking. Both sets of batteries have been changed within the last year and this key had not been used much as it is normally the spare.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be wrong? Is this pending EIS failure or key failure? And while on the subject is there anyone who can refurb keys as the black plastic on mine is just about screwed!

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ +1 for Mark above. They also repair EIS as well. Based in Birmingham and worth a call.

When I bought my W210 circa 5 years ago it had 2 keys but only one worked correctly and the other only unlocked, same symptoms as yours. I wouldn't think it is an indication of an immanent failure, well not in my experience. I have been lazy and never got it looked at (tempting fate!) but would be interested to know what the solution is.

One of my keys on my old CLK55 decided it didn't want to play.
replacementmercedeskeys sorted it.
Sent it to them for next day before 1pm, got it back two days later all fully functioning again in a nice new FOB

One of my keys on my old CLK55 decided it didn't want to play.
replacementmercedeskeys sorted it.
Sent it to them for next day before 1pm, got it back two days later all fully functioning again in a nice new FOB

Can you remember roughly what it cost? RMK are not too far from me.

Thanks for the replies. Might just be a key then. EIS failure is the last thing I need! I'll try those chaps and report back.

From what I hear, this is a common problem. There is a small coil in the key that can become dislodged if dropped etc. People have managed to resolder the coil to the pcb to fix this.

Neil

First of all (and I thought everybody knew this by now), the key batteries have nothing to do with starting the car.

Secondly, one key works, the other doesn't...so it's not the EIS...how could it be?

What has happened is the coil has broken off the useless key...it can be fixed (by Malcolm if he still does it).

I think you will find that "Malcolm" is mostly on "the other" forum?

Neil

Well I spoke to Mark and he more or less confirmed it's probably the coil. I'll be sending it off to him for a fix and refurb. Then I'll get the second one fine too.
Thanks for the responses.

It's £90 if posted and 60 for second if posted separately. If posted together it's 90 & 45.

Well I have just dug out my spare and I remember looking at it before and everything seemed to be intact. However, the top of the coil has come away from the board so at least I have found the issue. I am going to attempt to solder it back. Failing that, they are cheap on ebay

New Antenna Signal Coil for Mercedes 2-3 Button Smart Remote Key Repairs | eBay

UPDATE:

The coil seemed to be adrift on the top edge, soldering did not fix it. I resoldered the bottom two points and it still did not work. I then used the replacement coil from ebay in the link above and BINGO it works! For less than £8, a fully working key!

This is what the repair looks like (pic from ebay)

$_57.JPG

Nice one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom