Keys locked in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
So the Mrs decided to get her coat out of my boot... Put the keys down to 'look at something'... Closed the boot...

Searched the house for the spare to no avail... Any tips on how to get in or is this an expensive auto locksmith job? (AA membership lapsed 5 days ago)

Its a 2005 W203 saloon

I know that on all the Mercs I have had if you lift the first aid box out and the plastic tray if you have one on the rear shelf, there is a small hole that you can shine a torch through and use a coat hanger to get the keys. Otherwise you can just take one of the speakers out as well.

Happened to me once and was my fault too. Do as suggested above and call AA, pay over the 'phone and they will be in the car in less than 5 mins!

lfckeeper said:
So the Mrs decided to get her coat out of my boot... Put the keys down to 'look at something'... Closed the boot... Searched the house for the spare to no avail... Any tips on how to get in or is this an expensive auto locksmith job? (AA membership lapsed 5 days ago) Its a 2005 W203 saloon

About a year ago I had the same situation with my previous E Coupe 2011
If you do service your car with MB you can call the emergency services and they will get it sorted for free.
They will come for around 20-30min. (Doesn't matter where you are) and will get the job done for less than 30min.
I remember the guy who did open the car said: if you wasn't MB costumer, it was gonna be easy £600 ( not sure if is true but...)
I can probably find the phone number again if you want me to

Viktor

Open the door with a coat hanger. remove the first aid box or speaker and you should get in,

Open the door with a coat hanger. remove the first aid box or speaker and you should get in,

Or call the AA!

Worked out at £129.99 (cars at home) plus call out charge with AA/RAC... £90 with an auto locksmith.... Won't be doing that again in a hurry!!!!

There's obviously a flaw in the locking set up that allows someone to pop the boot while the vehicle remains locked, then allowing the boot to lock again on closing. Maybe there should be an option to disable this feature, or a delay on locking the boot after closing, so that if we inadvertently leave the keys in the boot, there is the option to retrieve those keys before the vehicle relocks the boot.

It's another of those convenience features that can be our own worst enemy.

There's obviously a flaw in the locking set up that allows someone to pop the boot while the vehicle remains locked, then allowing the boot to lock again on closing.

It's pretty common, and seems stupid to me. My car doesn't do it, and neither did wifey's past couple of cars, Honda Jazz's, but her new VW Tiguan does - I've drummed into her not to use the boot release, but to open the whole car.

Guys can slip the keys into their pocket but women do tend to just put the keys down.

Once the AA cover has lapsed, is there not a waiting time of a number of days? If I remember correctly, when I let my breakdown cover go and deciding to join up again, all said something about cover not being active for x number of days or covering exisitng problems - so if one was to take out cover now 11/5/16, not operational for a few days and from that date you get the 52 cover. Same applies to home appliances cover otherwise most will have no cover, but when tv breaks down, especially the expensive one, people take out repairs cover.

Anyway, leaving the key in the boot is easily done and I've nearly done it a couple of times but luckily not the case

It's pretty common, and seems stupid to me. My car doesn't do it, and neither did wifey's past couple of cars, Honda Jazz's, but her new VW Tiguan does - I've drummed into her not to use the boot release, but to open the whole car.

Guys can slip the keys into their pocket but women do tend to just put the keys down.

My 08 Lexus would not let you do this, but hey they are rubbish cars. ;)

My C class coupe won't let you do this , the boot just opens again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom