Killer vegetables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thumbKillerQ.jpg

OK its not Day of the Triffids but Rich27 seems to have got into the spirit of things. ;)

"How the cucumber crisis affects Europe" is an amazing thing to see on a news article

Oooh - what's on at the pictures ??

1427221020A.jpg

MPW-33801.jpg

WTF is fenugreek?
Have I missed something?

Is it something that long haired lefty veggie weirdos eat?

Never heard of it!

Fenugreek (Methi to lovers of Indian food) is a very pungent herb in leaf form, and used as a pickling spice / flavouring in spice form. I use it a lot, including fresh, and don't appear to have dropped dead yet. Given the numbers who would eat it here, I am either staggered that there have been virtually no cases, or that most source it from India rather than Egypt, or that like Spanish cucumbers and beansprouts, they might find it actually wasn't involved.

Was in Germany last week and had beansprouts and cucumber in salad, as usual it's all a load of media hype, designed to panic people. As in the other thread thats running some of the media are nothing more than low life scum who never let the facts get in the way of a good story :D

Thank you Charles.
Things get worse.

It appears that Edwina Fenugreek has advised that "most of the cucumber production in this country, sadly, is now affected with e-coli"

I think the wide variety of potential sources quoted are more a reflection of the difficulty of tracking down the source of potential infective agents in today's global food environment. A good example was this recent outbreak in Belges France where seeds may have been supplied from Thompson & Morgan (UK) based in Ipswich, England which were sourced from a German importer who in turn had originally imported them from Egypt. I'm sure that even under political pressure the regulatory authorities original statements would have been couched with many qualifications and caveats but would have been translated by the media into complete certainty.
Phrases such as "There are strong indications that a potential source might be---- " would suddenly become " Deadly E coli found in Spanish Cucumbers" .:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom