KwikFit getting better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markmifsud

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Insignia VXR 2.8t (2017) SuperSport, AWD, eLSD / Gone :( CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
I had a slow puncture at the weekend so could not wait to visit my regular tyre shop back in London. I decided to give KwikFit in Harlow a try, boy have they changed, and for the better.

Whilst waiting for my slot, I was watching them deal with a few other cars with not an airgun in sight. Wheel bolts were loosened and removed with a hand wrench. Refitting was done the same way but with a torque wrench, and then after the tech was finished, another rechecked all bolts with another torque wrench to check for correct torques.

I suspect it probably depends on the branch you use.

I'd consider them for the odd emergency thing but from experience of them in the past, I'd avoid them where possible. Last time I used them, they managed to chip my alloy wheel. Not only along the rim where the tire was fitted but also in the centre of the spokes where they'd clearly knocked the wheel against something. Yes they paid for the repair but it was more hassle than it was worth.

I suspect it probably depends on the branch you use.

We have one that is local and so has been very convenient to use. To be fair to them they've been fine.

We've found that the tyre pricing has become a little predatory at times over the last 5 or 6 years if you can't wait two or three days. But it's not always as bad as you might expect - so Costco had a good reputation for Michelin prices a few years ago - but our local Kwikfit was sometimes cheaper. SWMBO needed a 18" runflat for her car a few months ago and they had the exact tyre we wanted in stock and pricing was actually competitive even without the 2 or 3 day booking ritual.

I think it's easy to pick fault with them - large national chain - it only takes a disproportionately few incidents to become apocryphal stories.

My slow turned out to be a screw just inside the reparable area. Tyre off and they found two handfulls of rubber dust where the sidewalls had been rubbing due to low pressure. £185 later a new Pzero was fitted. This was the only tyre they had in stock for my size :(

They also have had a refurb with the tyre machine using nylon parts that touch the rims.

i agree, it is easy to pick fault and if you're clued up and need something specific like tyres or a tyre repair they're not all bad.

I actually use a local Kwik Fit for the MOT on my CLS as you are able to book a specific time slot where as other garages I'd use require you to leave the car for the day and pick up later.

Ironically I moved on to using Tyre City who'd been able to fit tyres properly when I first had issues with Kwik Fit damaging a wheel. I took my E Class there for two front tyres and they also managed to mangle one of the alloys which had only been painted a few months earlier.

What got me about that lot was how they said they'd pay for it to be repaired but, "It wasn't use that damaged it". I appreciate accidents happen but to deny it and essentially accuse me of trying to swindle them into repairing a wheel p*ssed me off royally! They tried to blame the paint on the wheels yet the significant damage was actually in the middle of one of the spokes!

Others I know who've used them have praised them but I've found a smaller place that seem far more conscious of your wheels so I'll be sticking with them. :)

I have never had an issue with kwikfit but only use them for tyres and many years ago exhausts. What I like is that if you have a problem and are away you can drop into another branch and the issue will be sorted under the warranty if it still exists.

I had a slow puncture at the weekend so could not wait to visit my regular tyre shop back in London. I decided to give KwikFit in Harlow a try, boy have they changed, and for the better.

Whilst waiting for my slot, I was watching them deal with a few other cars with not an airgun in sight. Wheel bolts were loosened and removed with a hand wrench. Refitting was done the same way but with a torque wrench, and then after the tech was finished, another rechecked all bolts with another torque wrench to check for correct torques.

My experience is that large chains (National, ATS, KwikFit, also Costco) always stick to the book - they use torque wrench, balance all wheels as standard (including rear ones and spare wheel), and inflate to correct pressures. Presumably this is because their staff are properly trained and monitored.

(They still have ample opportunity to get things wrong though...)

It's the smaller local tyre fitters that tend to cut corners.

Dont know if this post is for or against KF or not but this is my story .I went to our local KF to get the silencer replaced . And went to sit in the room on the side .Not long after the chap came in and asked me if i would like a new tyre on the front . New tyre i said its not that old .Now i know every scratch and mark on my car like a lot of us do . I went to look at it . It had a split in the front tyre , about 3 inches of the outer cover of the side wall was split. I said who was it that put the car on the ramp .No one said a thing , it was that close to me jumping on his head . I came out and never went to the KF centre again..That was 30 years ago .
. And i had no joy with the tyre .I was told it came in like it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom