Lacquer coming off W164, what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdrianJudd

Car
ML320 CDi Sport
Hello,

I've owned a (2008) W164 ML for the last 1.5 years. Over the past 6 months the paint has developed milky patches. My local garage (not a dealer) says it the paint delaminating and the lacquer is comign away from the paint underneath.

This was an expensive car for me and one that I've saved up for for several years in order to be able to affod to buy. I was hoping to keep the car for some time and be able to eventually sell it for for a reasonable amount of money.

I've never had paint peel off a car before. What can be done about this? How much will it cost (all pannels except the roof) and should paint last 6 years or more on a luzury car?

Is there any kind of paint warranty?

Thanks for that E270. :eek: :eek: :eek:

After discussing jet-washes and lacquer flying off, I have decided for now to just put the car through the usual 'roller' car wash, although even this is probably bad for the paint / lacquer. But what's the alternative... hand-washing the car oneself? I don't think I could be bothered.

Last edited:
I've never used a jetwash or carwash with my ML, I walways handwash. It's certainly not as bad as the video!

However, there are milky patches. Why is the paint delaminating on what is nto an old car? Is there a paint warranty from MB?

We'll , the warranty will depend on it having had any paintwork , specifically paintwork done at an MB body shop.

Has it had any in its life before you owned it ?

If it has , can you guarantee it was at an approved body shop ?

Very unlikely to be factory paint delaminating / peeling , more likely a dodgy repair somewhere in its life .

My SLk has the same problem and it is covered under the warranty. It is a problem with the paint. It is taking three weeks to sort. The bodyshop has to take all the paint off and then redo it from scratch. It was scary when it happened but it is being sorted.

Are any of these 'afflicted' cars coloured Fire Opal (Red - AKA Mars Red in USA) as other threads seem to suggest that is a suspect colour.

the main problem for the lacquer delaminating is due to the water borne basecoats used, they have to be cured/dryed by air passing over the paint in order to make it ready for the clearcoat to be applied and attached it self to the substrate, if not correctly cured/dryed then it will lift off after time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom