Laser Gun - tug or letter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Does anyone know.........

When Mr. Police Officer points his small handheld (Laser I'm guessing) gun out the door of his car whilst parked up on a bridge over the motorway.......how does he get you?

Are you pulled up further down the road or is it a letter in the post job?

Just wondering, not worried LOL!

It depends on whether or not the said gun had a camera attachment on it:cool:

How much over:crazy: ??

Reactions: 219
Last time I was "Done" by a copper on an overbridge, his mate rushed across the bridge as I went under it to get my registration number. "Nice copper I thought" I don't think.:devil: :devil:

Originally posted by Brian WH
Last time I was "Done" by a copper on an overbridge, his mate rushed across the bridge as I went under it to get my registration number. "Nice copper I thought" I don't think.:devil: :devil:

So you got a fixed fine in the post or what?

from what i remember - there used to be a pretty effective way of disputing these hand held gun tickets - going to court and asking the police to produce the calibration test certificate for the particular gun that was used to stop you on the day they recorded your speed.

They seldom used to have them so the recording could be disputed.

I don't know if this still applies - perhaps Dave could enlighten us :)

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
from what i remember - there used to be a pretty effective way of disputing these hand held gun tickets - going to court and asking the police to produce the calibration test certificate for the particular gun that was used to stop you on the day they recorded your speed.

They seldom used to have them so the recording could be disputed.

I don't know if this still applies - perhaps Dave could enlighten us :)

Andy

I'm sure they must have heard that one before a few times. I wasn't up to anything rediculous, just made me wonder as although I spotted the Police car well in advance and slowed, I didn't suddenly bring the entire outside lane of the motorway behind me down to 70mph either. I was in flowing traffic at about 80-85 ish I think.

We'll see!

"I am being accused of speeding, but the Police did not calibrate the device properly.

Failure to follow APCO or manufacturers rules on calibration/re-calibration will not make a prosecution invalid. What it will do however is give the defendant excellent grounds for pleading not guilty and thereby forcing the police to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. Where they have failed to meet the standards prescribed by the manufacturers (not necessarily APCO as those recommendations are good practice only) it would be relatively easy under cross-examination, to cast doubt on the prosecution evidence thereby forcing the bench to return a not guilty verdict."

taken from

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/FAQ/FAQ.htm

they also list general speeding "punishment" guidelines on that page.

Andy

Slightly related.:p

Do speed cameras have to flash?

Lets say I recently went through a forward facing speed camera in a 40mph zone slowing from 60mph but still went past the camera at 47-50mph. (On the A605 near Oundle, just past that new roundabout, I am sure you know the one Simon!)

I did not see a flash so I would presume I am 'safe'............I hope.:crazy:

It is a road I drive fairly often, the camera is new, near a new roundabout and to be honest I was looking at the new roundabout and where to go more than I was looking at the speedo or the camera.

Check out the Pistonheads Forum on "Speeding, plod and the Law". It's frequented by police and solicitors, etc, and you'll get the best advice here as to what will/might/won't happen, etc .... You'll also get top tips on what you can/can't do, etc ....

Dead handy for keeping as a bookmark.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?f=10&h=0

K

Hi folks,
Speed detection equipment calibration is completed on the dot and it recorded in the correct log, and "stickered" This will prove beyond reasonable doubt in court. Also, police car speedo's are calibrated regularly.

However, if they havn't been correctly maintained, you are quite right there is an excellent defence.

It just depends how diligent the maintenance section is.......

Regards,

Mike.

Just as an aside, the basics are; that speeding is one of a few offences that require corroboration, so the laser corroborates the opinion of the Officer - as would the speedo, or indeed as would the opinion of another Officer...

So if there were 2 Officers, it wouldn't matter that the laser was defective (although if you were close to the limit they might have difficulty proving you were actually over).

In extreme cases, the opinion of one Officer would be enough (eg 80mph in a 30mph limit) although a basic speeding conviction would be the least of your worries in those circs.

I am sure it has been mentioned here before, but more and more forces are getting "ANPR" - Automatic Number Plate Readers - fitted in vans which look very similar to the speed enforcement teams. The best bit is that these are looking for vehicles noted on Police databases as used by travelling criminals, disqualified drivers etc, and with Police access to the insurance database too, it means they can target uninsured drivers as well. I believe the DVLA will help fund these vans from the fines revenue collected from un-taxed vehicles (so it is, at last, the crims paying for the cops!).

Rant over.

Does anyone know.........

When Mr. Police Officer points his small handheld (Laser I'm guessing) gun out the door of his car whilst parked up on a bridge over the motorway.......how does he get you?

Are you pulled up further down the road or is it a letter in the post job?

Just wondering, not worried LOL!
Can be either , if the device uses a camera and makes a recording with the time , date , speed embedded , then a postal NIP can be issued ; if merely a reading on the instrument, then they have to chase you down ; both officers have to attest that the reading was taken from your car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom