Laser printer recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnDeere8530

I need a colour laser printer for my home office. Ideally I need duplex and half decent quality.

Anyone any recommendatons, another forum (british farming forum) have suggested..... Lexmark C543dn for a dirt cheap price of £150.

Comes with quite a bit of toner as standard by all accounts

The key is the cost of toner.

I got a Xerox Phaser for about £110 - works well, but a full set of cartridges costs more than the original with cartridges :crazy:

Also depends on what (and how much) you want to do with it - colour text - brilliant, small diagrams graphs, bits of photos - brilliant, A4 photos - not good

Go to a good supplier - this lot seem ok - Xerox Colour Laser Printers

I have a Samsung CLP 325w which is brilliant, it is duplex but you have to re-feed the sheets rather than it being auto duplex. I bought it in June last year and have just replaced a full set of toner cartridges at a cost of £95 for genuine ones and it gets quite a lot of use between the three of us at home. Original cost was £165 from Staples.

I've got a Brother DCP-9055CDN that work kindly bought for me this year at about £300. I've gone through two reams (nearly, about half an inch to go) and still on the original toners. Full auto duplex, and a scanner with autofeed too (which I use a fair bit).

I like that I can scan from the machine with one button - it sends the file back to my laptop (as long as it's on the network of course) without me having to run anything special.

I've got an HP Colour Laserjet.

Very good printer, fast, good print quality, etc, etc.

Printer cost £250 new, cost of a new set of toner cartridges - £250! !

so most printers are ok for colour diagrams etc and text BUT definitely not photos ?

so most printers are ok for colour diagrams etc and text BUT definitely not photos ?

all I can say is the Xerox isn't good for large photos (ie full A4) - it might be a fault with the printer, but after a couple in succession the ink adherence isn't good. For big photos I have an ancient (by computer standards) Canon Pixma inkjet - it is stunning, but slowish

all I can say is the Xerox isn't good for large photos (ie full A4) - it might be a fault with the printer, but after a couple in succession the ink adherence isn't good. For big photos I have an ancient (by computer standards) Canon Pixma inkjet - it is stunning, but slowish

If you're using a Xerox Phaser that's not a laser but is a Wax based printer. The 'toner' is actually blocks of coloured wax, much like giant Crayola crayons!

Decent printers, but from my experience with them, they're not great if used infrequently. The technology is very different from laser printing. Also if using a phaser and you want to laminate anything you need to use a cold laminator, as the heat from traditional laminating re-melts the wax!

***EDIT*** Just looked at the Xerox website and it looks like they now also use the Phaser model name for traditional laser printers as well as the Solid Ink Wax printers.

Last edited:
printerland has just recommened a OKI 511 @ £274+vat

Does what I want it to ie duplex etc. Chap says this is best value for money as ships with 2000 pages worth of toner... Prints with LED or something too ??????

I use a set of HP 3600dn printers that I got for free from a company scrapping them a few years ago (ironically, they were all brand new - they bought them without realising that they didn't have drivers for OSX at the time)

It's been 3-4 years, and I had to buy my first cartridge of toner last week; cost me £15 for the cartridge (aftermarket).

I'm a very heavy printer too, and my other half used my printer to do her thesis, which ate reams of paper on a daily basis for a few weeks.

Great printer really, and has never jammed on me.
M.

In my experience HP printers make the competition look very cheap & nasty. All the HP printers I have seen are still pounding out pages years down the line

If you want to print anything artworked with Postscript fonts or embedded EPS files you'll need a Postscript printer

All the HP models with an N suffix have Ethernet as well as other connections options. That what I always recommend

Secondhand HP printers cost buttons

Nick Froome

As above - HP every time.

And check the 3 years warranty upgrade costs ('HP CarePack').

Avoid the Xerox machines, they are a nuisance.

I had (a not inexpensive) 6115mfp

The first one arrived dead.
The second one died after a week.
The third one had an engineer out on a monthly basis so they replaced it with a fourth.

The fourth lasted 6 months at which point Xerox washed their hands of us. So I binned it and bought an HP deskjetpro.

If it's just documents you need we have an Samsung ML-2152W laser which is years old and simply produced page after page of documents at little expense with next to no downtime.

Last edited:
As above - HP every time.

And check the 3 years warranty upgrade costs ('HP CarePack').
I fix some of these cheapo's for a living , go HP and get the care pack as MJ says , run till dead then get another , toner , pcu's , fusers etc are spendy items . Working out your toner coverage per page (pixel count) would help in costs re toner..
As an aside Lexmark help desk is in Holland , HP is in Bangalore , both utterly aweful ..Lexmark parts are cheap as chips though , if its A3 it will be a badged Zerox though..
And another... Led printers use led's to discharge the drum/pcu for toner attraction , lasers use , we'll lasers ..
Lasers= expensive , or so I'm told.. I hate small colour printers ....

***EDIT*** Just looked at the Xerox website and it looks like they now also use the Phaser model name for traditional laser printers as well as the Solid Ink Wax printers.

Majority of Xerox models are not solid-ink.

We switched to Xerox and solid ink a couple of years back. Quite happy. I think the output looks nicer than the Samsung lasers we used to use. The solid ink is also cleaner - no waste toner tank or old cartrdidges to get rid of.

But as with most of these mid ramnge printers it's often cheaper to buy a new printer with its starter ink pack if there's a deal going - than buy proper set of replacement ink blocks.

so far its looking like from this thread to go with HP then?

Printerland are pushing and OKI 511, says it is very good for home office. And the LEDs are best way to go ?

LED printers are better for heavier use, if you are going to be a light user the advantage of a LED over a laser may not be so vast.

Advantages of LED printers:
1.On principle faster than laser printers
2.Requires less mechanical movement incomparison to laser printers
3.Usually less power is required compared to laser printers

Disadvantages of LED printers:
1.The drum life is shortened when used for frequent short jobs
2.The full speed potential is not immediately obvious unless used for high volume printing
3.Resolution issues due to the array of LED's

(copied from another site)

If it's for home use, I would still go for a 2nd hand HP, 2 years old or so. You can get it to tell you how many pages it's printed in its lifetime.

M.

+1 for HP

I've still got the 14yo Laserjet 6P that I bought 2nd hand as a student, just keep feeding it paper and the occasional toner cartridge over the years. I refuse to part with it because it's just been so reliable, it's up in the loft now as I've got a Samsung colour laser MFP in the office (which has it's own foibles, the wireless connectivity is a waste of time)

Another vote for HP, I'm afraid. I bought a (mono) HP 8000DN with 2,000 sheet feeder secondhand about 5 years ago with 110,000 pages already "on the clock". I think I paid £150 and its still running now (at 150,000 pages) and has required no maintenance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom