lazy wiper - w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FunkMasterJay

Car
W202 C200 Sport Auto
Hey all.

All of a sudden, my wiper blade seems to be lazy around the halfway point.

First of all, I would like to know how to replace the blade, but is this a common fault?

Cheers.

J

The mechanism needs greasing... plenty of threads here on how to do it.

If the cover of the mechanism is plastic, it just unclips and can be greased easy. If metal, you'll need to stop the wiper at 12:00 and feel underneath for some holes. Then with a can of spray grease (with a straw), squirt liberally in said holes to do the same job.

No need to remove the whole mechanism as has been advised in other threads.

Thank you.
Mine is plastic and is a pre facelift.

What grease do you recommend. Also, I struggle to understand how the wiper blade can be removed.

Jason.

Frankly any grease wil be an improvement. Nice thick gloopy stuff in a tub is what you need. You may as well buy a tub of high temperature grease though so you can use it for other applications in future.

The wiper arm comes off the same as any other wiper. Instructions will be on the box of the replacement wiper.

I had this problem on my W202 and replaced the whole wiper mechanism twice, but it still recurred. The dealers said it was the mechanism. Eventually I decided to look at the motor, and found that is a kind of rack and pinion system, and a good portion of the teeth on the pinion had sheared off. The motor casing was full of metalic debris, and this is what led me to the cause of the fault. I fitted a replacement motor (second hand from a breakers)- prolem solved. If you continue to use the wipers as they are you will find the problem becomes worse.-It's worth having a look at the motor.

Interesting.
I'm intermittantly experiencing a 'lazy' wipe, also at the 12 'o clock position. But only happenes sometimes.
If teeth are damaged, wouldn't the problem occur on every wipe action?
Mine only does it now and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom