Le Mans Crash, Driver Dies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

npuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCiMk8MYGeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAUz7bwPY2Y

Le Mans, 22 June 2013: It is with great shock and sadness that the Aston Martin Racing Team confirms that an accident occurred shortly after the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans at around 15:09 hrs CET today (22 June) when the No 95 Vantage GTE driven by Allan Simonsen left the track at Tertre Rouge.

Tragically, and despite the best efforts of the emergency services in attendance, Allan’s injuries proved fatal.

Aston Martin Racing Managing Director, John Gaw, said: “On behalf of all of us at Aston Martin Racing, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to the individuals, and families whose friends or loved ones were involved in today's terrible tragedy.”

Aston Martin Racing will not make any further comment until the precise circumstances of the accident have been determined. Next of kin have been informed.

Following the ACO’s media statement concerning the tragic death of Aston Martin Racing driver Allan Simonsen, and at the specific request of his family, the team will continue to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in tribute to Allan.

Aston Martin - The Official Website

2nd video shows the car just snaps away and heads towards the barrier like something broke going round the bend.

R.I.P.

Last edited:
I thought the same too, but I imagine most people just click the 'new posts' shortcut.

But anyway, very sad news indeed

My guess would be sideways into the Armco barrier= no tyre wall :confused: + no frontal crumple zones to reduce fatal G forces.:( EDIT:- Some reports give him as conscious and talking to medical staff post accident??? http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/le-mans-24-hours-safety-car-leads-le-153901940.html

1031974-16623872-640-360.jpg

Last edited:
Very sad. I was watching on TV when it happened. No coverage at the time of what actually caused it. Sympathies to his family and friends.

I saw this on a video, looks like he went a little wide on exit touched the paint on a damp track, lost traction, corrected, gained traction, but just didn't have time to decorrect, so went where the wheels were pointing. That's my guess at least, it happened so quick it is very hard to say from the armchair of course.

My lad has been chatting with one of his marshalling friends who was there. It would appear that the car hit the armco where it runs very close to a tree - a metre either side and the outcome would probably have been very different. You only had to see the outcome of one of the Lola's off-track exploits - ending up minus engine and gearbox, but with a safe driver - to see what the cars do to save their drivers if everything else goes to plan...

It also seems that the collision with the armco happened in an odd place, which was why the trees in that area had not been taken as far back as they usually are. The "off" was quite unusual, and with very sad consequences.

I saw this on a video, looks like he went a little wide on exit touched the paint on a damp track, lost traction, corrected, gained traction, but just didn't have time to decorrect, so went where the wheels were pointing. That's my guess at least, it happened so quick it is very hard to say from the armchair of course.

Someone has lost his life and you see fit to exercise your judgement on how he went wrong. Disgusting!:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail

Yes, you would never get that in the Aviation Industry for example would you. It's not like you want to know the truth so you can help prevent it from happening again. Fancy a flight in a Comet?

If you didn't see him go wide on the paint then there is something wrong with you, what I want to know is why he went wide on the paint.

Ever been to root cause analysis training? They teach you that ALL INCIDENTS ARE A RESULT OF HUMANS EITHER DOING SOMETHING OR NOT DOING SOMETHING, except volcanoes, most earthquakes and things from space + one or two other things. AND they teach you to ask why at least five times as well as helping you to understand that accidents are usually an accumulation of things all pointing toward the incident.

Now do you wish to subvert that by being PC, well, do you?

I wasn't judging, but I am now.

I think I am owed an apology - if you're man enough...??

I'd like to ask the Mods to step in here please before this person spins more rubbish.

Last edited:
Someone has lost his life and you see fit to exercise your judgement on how he went wrong. Disgusting!:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail:fail
I think you may have got this wrong in this instance. Its a frequent employed coping mechanism after a tragedy to attempt to understand why something happened to rationalise why it occurred . Sometimes there is no explanation and people have to live with that reality- but it doesn't suppress the impulse to try to understand it. It does not imply a lack of empathy for the individuals involved. Some might say ---motor racing is dangerous ---people get killed------ and leave it at that. Others seek greater understanding. Don't think anyone is trying to minimise the tragic premature death of the 34 year old Danish driver here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom