Leaking 250D windscreen panic!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
Anyone reading the general section may have seen I've collected a '94 W124 (I think) 250D. The seller never mentioned the leaking windscreen seal and of course I never noticed it. It was sunny when viewing but the heavens opened on the way home and so it was easy to spot.

the glass doesn't appear to be damaged at all but the seal has obviously been leaking for some time as it has rust blisters along the edge of the leaky bit. The headling is also loose at that point on the inside. Course once it got dark, I discovered that almost none of the dash lights and guages work either (I know, I'll deal with that in the other section), probably because of all the water that's come in.

Now to my question: is this terminal? Can a faulty winscreen seal be easily replaced, particularly when part of the car that it attaches to is rusty? Is this common, I've never heard of such a thing.

I'd appreciate any advice quickly on this one as it strikes me as a major problem.

I think the screen is bonded on the 124. If so the screen willneed to come out, the rusty area treated and then the screen re bonded.

Yes, I was thinking that and I'm trying to get in touch with a panelbeater friend of a friend to organise. Do you think the screen will survive removal?

Yes, it should survive, as they use a knife like tool to cut the bonding sealant all the way around.

It'll be a pain to clean off, but the windscreen fitter will have solvents for that.

Ian.

Rob77 said:
Yes, I was thinking that and I'm trying to get in touch with a panelbeater friend of a friend to organise. Do you think the screen will survive removal?

Should do as long as it's not already chipped or cracked.

No, the glass seems fine so thanks for all the help. I'll see if I can find someone to do it now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom