Leather dying and conditioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gramey

Car
2003 R230 SL350 Tellurium silver
So after quite a lengthy journey over the past 13 months my R129 is in pretty damn good shape now but I would like to colour in the wear on the drivers seat bolster. I'd also like to clean and condition the leather if that's possible with the coated leather. I was going to buy it all from Gliptone but I couldn't work out which is them most appropriate product for colouring and sealing the seat?

So any advice appreciated please. :)

Gliptone stuff is hopeless for dyeing.

Volico sell the correct Benz leather dyes, in a kit including cleaner, primer, colour and top coat, and the finish will be nigh on perfect. Thereafter to give the leather sheen (PVC coated leather does not need conditioning) and to keep the colour deep use TRG Leather balm (look on ebay).

I'd do it via "Brewer" and get it done professionally as it may back fire on you and then you won't be happy.. DIY carries a certain level of risk, such as the colour not matching correctly..but that's just my opinion.

Bruce used it on his W124 and the colour match and finish with mushroom is perfect, which is not surprising as it is the correct dye. I used it on a W124 estate in black and again it is a great result.

A professional sprayer is always a good option, but good luck finding one, the good ones have no shortage of work from dealers and keep very low key.

The problem with trying to match the original colour is that the original colour, is not what your seats are now. Even at 5 years old the original colour will have changed through the sun bleaching etc. My SL has grey leather and the original colour was much darker than the dye kit I got.

I'll use a pro who can match it by mixing on site, when I get round to it.

Just buy the Volico stuff an redo both front seats completely.

I used the furnitureclinic kit today on the Range Rover and it is so nice to be in like new seats again.

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Colourant_Kit

Even easier with the Volico stuff.

10 years old and 120k miles....
tdv8interior.jpg

tdv8interior2.jpg

I've used bespoke leathering who mix/sell the Gliptone stuff - the service and dye is fantastic. It's always a perfect match and it doesn't seem to even wear off steering wheels.

The problem with trying to match the original colour is that the original colour, is not what your seats are now. Even at 5 years old the original colour will have changed through the sun bleaching etc. My SL has grey leather and the original colour was much darker than the dye kit I got.

I'll use a pro who can match it by mixing on site, when I get round to it.
You can send them a trim piece such as headrest if you are worried about that. The darkness could be really ground in grime as well - to get that out only scrubbing Gliptone cleaner in with a toothbrush seems to work.

That said, I just ordered pre-mixed Alpaca grey for my CLK (it had some annoying clear coat peel which I had to repair) and the match was absolutely spot on. Same with others I've used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom