1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Led headlights

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by m11nch, Sep 18, 2017.

1. m11nch

m11nch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
    Hi i would like to upgrade my GL320
    headlights.
    To do a factory xenon conversion is to costly.
    so seeing that's it's 2017 could there be any decent led h7 bulbs that work better than what I've got
    I have seen a h7 with angle adjustment
    So not to blind oncoming traffic but £100 a pair is steep and not sure if any good plus I need 1 high beam and 1 low beam bulb on each side
    eBay have a load on there but not sure of quality
    any advice welcome

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    I'm surprised a 2017 model doesn't have bi-xenon headlights as standard!

3. PaulG

PaulG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    You would be a bit of a pioneer taking this on..

Several of us have tried but ther results have been pretty unsatisfactory. Because of size/position/number of the LED emitters, you may get loads more light but not on the road where you want it.

I'mn sure the perfect H7 plud-n-play LED is out there but I haven't found one yet.

One thing to be careful of if you go ahead. The little stainless-steel adaptor plate that holds the bulb is not available separately, and Mercedes can't make up their mind wether it's part of the Headlamp Assy, or the wiring loom....so good luck buying a replacement if you damage it. You will certainly have to modify it to allow for the heat-sink which hangs out the back (if you'll pardon the expression) of the LED bulb.

Good luck with your research, and keep us informed.

4. OP
    OP
    m11nch

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
    Mines a 2009 GL320 i was just saying that it's 2017 and there should be something with led tech for aftermarket bulbs that just work

5. OP
    OP
    m11nch

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
  6. Codger49

Codger49 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209 CLK500, CLK280; W168 A190; E46 325i
  7. OP
    OP
    m11nch

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
    I see they have H7 bulbs there too
    But like you said no ECE not sure what that is but sounds like I can ignore it as it will probably be approved at some point????
    Still £175 is steep but I am tempted

8. Ted

Ted Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A209 CLK AMG Sport Convertible, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Each of our products comes with a unique QR code that can be verified as authetnic [sic] by Philips

9. OP
    OP
    m11nch

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
    So I purchased the Phillips leds h7 they fitted great as you can unscrew the heat sink and put the holding tab in place I used these on the low beam
    I also bought some cheaper h7 s off eBay for £35 and put them on my main beam but they had to be wedged in to place
    The T10 side lights I installed gave me errors on the dash so I soldered in a 3w resistor all good
    I have been driving for a week now
    The lights are brilliant I don't get people flashing me on low beam
    I will post pictures soon

10. PaulG

PaulG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    Well done for researching this, it's greaqt to know that a real solution to these cr*p low-beams exists.

It occurs to me that Phillips probably buy these from a chinese manufacturer (as very little is made anywhere else), so did you see any H7s on ebay that looked similar, particularly with regard to the removable heatsink?

The fitting of the heat sink was the biggest problem that made me abandon the project and fir Nightbreakers, but the improvement in light output is not spectacular.

11. Uky

Uky Active Member

Car:
    C207
    One reason for keeping H7's is that they generate enough heat to warm up the lamp assembly,
    which makes it less prone to condensation deposits inside. I got tired of the yellowish light
    from the standard H7's in my previous car. Easier to buy two pairs of Osram "Super White" or what
    they call them. Had the car for two years. Never had to replace any of them.

12. OP
    OP
    m11nch

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
    I haven't seen that type yet it has two leads out one for the fan and one for the lights so it can be disassembled easier that would be the tell tale

13. OP
    OP
    m11nch

Car:
    ml270,ml420,ml280
  14. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG
    View an approaching car: ;)

[​IMG]