LED intelligent lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keith of kent

Car
E212 350 sport night edition estate , GLA 200 Sport Premium
Any experiences on here of the car in front indicating that they don't like your LED intelligent lights?
Car is a 2015 E350 and in auto mode with main beam assist the lights are not shining on the car in front.

At least I am not alone! We get 'flashed' occasionally by oncoming cars during the periods our lights would be on, presumably as they think we have full beam on.
Have had them checked out and they 100% functioning correctly in their operation.

I have never been flashed in 3 month of ownership. That said ILS is very bright and if computer was glitchy it could dazzle.

I've got the later model (w213) 84 led lights and got constantly flashed at. Turned out the headlight control unit was bad. Replaced and now no more flashes. The blocking out of other traffic is visibly quicker and more accurate now.

I do think that the system just looks really bright to approaching cars and we've got so many light segments in the headlights (two big strips, two or more further blocks of light per headlight) it does look like we've got main beam fully on all the time so i understand some drivers being trigger happy to flash us!

Most of my daily commute is on unlit fast A- and B-roads and during the winter months I don't remember getting flashed once by an oncoming vehicle.

Is the light masking working properly on your car? You should be able to see a distinct dark box around a vehicle you're following, and you should see the light cutoff move towards you as an oncoming vehicle approaches.

The only time I operate the low beam manually is if approaching a tighter bend, as the camera system doesn't "see" an oncoming vehicle as soon as I can, and will sometimes be a bit late in masking the beam pattern.

I haven't been flashed yet as my System appears to work as advertised regarding cars approaching, I have only had the car since Saturday. :D

What does concern me is the fact that the System doesn't Dip when approaching a car in front until the last minute or I am really close, though the Hand Book does state that the Driver is still responsible for overriding the System in required!

Does anyone know how to test the ILS? I have it on my 2017 E Class and it never seems to go onto full beam? If I switch off of "Auto" on the light selector, Full Beam comes on. However, I admit that I drive mainly on well lit roads, will that stop the beam even in my side road??

Any experience or suggestions much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to test the ILS? I have it on my 2017 E Class and it never seems to go onto full beam? If I switch off of "Auto" on the light selector, Full Beam comes on. However, I admit that I drive mainly on well lit roads, will that stop the beam even in my side road??

On the C Class you have to select Full Beam from the start, a Symbol appears top left of Speedo then when the road is clear of oncoming vehicles the Full Beam activates, the only sign being the Blue Full Beam caption appears and the fact that the road is now lit up like something from a Lighthouse!

ILS does not switch high beams at daylight or on roads that have streetlights. Perhaps you are driving too slow (for high beams) on your side road.

Last edited:
Thanks DB. I didn't realise that there were speed requirements for full beam. Since The car has only done 500 miles, I am still running it in. That could explain it.

Thw ILS on my xenons, which as a system would imagine is exactly the same on yours: automatic high beam assist on in the menus, lights on auto, stalk in the full beam position, should then get the full beam icon with A in the middle to indicate it is on. Requirements for full beam to come on once in auto: no street lights etc, has to be adequately dark outside and driving over 30mph.

I don't know the technology, but my ILS is far more acurate with clean headlamps and sensor. Still would like headlamp washers though :(

I don't actually know why they stopped fitting headlamp washers. Many years ago, I had a ford Granada Scorpio the had little wipers on the headlamps. Why not today?

Not required if the lights are under 2k lumens, so a momey saving excercise.

Noticed one downside of "cool" led light. Drove 25 miles in that one snow fall we had this winter and the lights were almost completely obscured, did not notice as it was daylight. Reckon in darkness I would have had to stop to clear them, even washers would have helped.

I don't often have problems with the ILS in my C Class. It was noticeably quicker in the new E Class I had with Multibeam LED though. On occasion the system in the C Class get caught out, but I wouldn't be without it, it's such an improvement when driving at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom