Let migrants into UK to take jobs Britons won't do, says Domino's chief

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got another idea for him.

You're operating in a mature, high-cost, country. Try paying wages that people can live on and you may find that your problems of recruitment evaporate :rolleyes:

Do any of the delivery companies pay the living wage, or do they all pay the national minimum salary?

The London Living Wage is currently £8.80 per hour. (The calculation | Living Wage)

That said, something doesn't sit right. The article quotes Lance Batchelor, who I was sure quite his role a few days ago (and upon checking, he did... but isn't effective until April)

So, £8.80 x 37.5 hours per week = £330pw (£17160pa). That would be hard to live on...in London.

So, £8.80 x 37.5 hours per week = £330pw (£17160pa). That would be hard to live on...in London.

Not me that sets it :) My understanding (without much research) is that is considered a minimum to live on... not an easy life, but a minimum...

The Living Wage | CRSP | Loughborough University

The calculation is based on the Minimum Income Standard for the United Kingdom, the product of research by CRSP, funded by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation. The research looks in detail at what households need in order to have a minimum acceptable standard of living. Decisions about what to include in this standard are made by groups comprising members of the public. The Living Wage is therefore rooted in social consensus about what people need to make ends meet.

The uprating of the Living Wage figure each year takes account of rises in living costs and any changes in what people define as a ‘minimum’. It also takes some account of what is happening to wages generally, to prevent a situation where Living Wage employers are required to give pay rises that are too far out of line with general pay trends.

But far from impossible. I know people living in London on less than that. They just don't expect everything to be handed to them on a plate. They don't expect to have the same luxuries as everyone else, as much as they'd like them. No, they're not living in Mayfair but they're comfortable and don't complain. And no, they can't afford a car - but living in London they don't need one.

I think that's the problem. People who would be earning the sort of money that Dominos are offering are not much better off working and paying their own rent than people who don't work and claim benefits instead. I imagine it's very difficult to live on National minimum wage living in a more expensive area?

Let's be honest - it's not rocket science - they can't find people willing to work for the money that they are offering. Minimum wage is probably more acceptable in cheaper areas of the country - hence their recruitment issue in London and the SE. It probably costs as much to rent a single room in London as a whole house in some parts of the country.

How do their wages/working conditions compare with say Tesco or McDonalds?

Pointless article IMHO. There's nothing new about this news :eek:

And that's gross. It's impossible imo.

And that's gross. It's impossible imo.

When I graduated (7 years ago) from a top-3 UK university, with a Bachelors in Engineering (honors with bells and whistles); my first job (in London) paid £17k. Admittedly, that was 7 years ago, but it wasn't impossible to live on (and have a W202).

I'm not saying it's easy living, and a good wage... but it is possible.

After some research, it seems dominos pays less than the national minimum wage, let alone the living wage. The way they do this is pay £4 an hour + £1 per delivery (which covers fuel). The more deliveries you do, the more you get, but if you don't do any deliveries I presume they top your £4 up to minimum wage. Quick sneaky really...

M.

Last edited:
But far from impossible. I know people living in London on less than that.

What do these people do for a living?

The last time I looked, a grotty one bed apartment in any London postcode was at least £500pcm, so that's £6k per year on rent alone.

Let's say the person on £17k actually takes home £13k, by only deducting the rent leaves them with £7k a year (that's about £135 a week) to pay electric, gas, council rates, water rates, TV license, food bills etc etc

You'd struggle to live ap norf for that!

Well, it was your first job and it was seven years ago so it's not actually the same. Consider too, 17k back them is somewhere around 14-15k today. Plus, of course you had prospects unlike many of the workers being stuck on £8.80/hr.

Well, it was your first job and it was seven years ago so it's not actually the same. Consider too, 17k back them is somewhere around 14-15k today. Plus, of course you had prospects unlike many of the workers being stuck on £8.80/hr.

Indeed - looking at inflation (Historic inflation calculator: how the value of money has changed since 1900 | This is Money ) it would suggest it equates roughly to a 19k-20k salary; which is quite a bit more.

That said, I did have some "luxuries" (my W202, videogames, a smartphone, etc) - still had to share a house with friends though, and I reckon that brings the cost of living quite a bit down.

I have friends now, who work as management consultants for one of the "big4" consultancies who still share a flat.

Looking on zoopla, flat shares with all bills included can be found for £300-£350 a month in London (obviously not the absolute center). Add a monthly travelcard (£167 for zones 1-4) or a bicycle and the only outgoings are food.

So what I'm trying to say is - £17k (now) is not impossible to live on. No, it's not nice; and you'll struggle to go on holiday or have luxuries, etc - but it's possible.

M/

Last edited:
You can live cheaply even in London. Buy from a corner shop, not a supermarket, cook your own meals, share a flat. No Sky, xbox or other nonsense. I'm sure most if not all of us had our hard times. You adapt. Harder with kids and all but not impossible.

The thing that bugs me about this sort of thing is that many of the employees that are working on a minimum wage (whether immigrants or home grown) will have to supplement their wages with housing benefit and other benefits in order to live on the minimum required by law.

In effect, the tax payer is part funding these private companies wage bill.

So when startbucks get caught not paying UK tax and in defence try and argue that they employ lots of people, the truth of the matter is that the tax payer has to subsidise these salaries as well as having to pay a fiver for a cup of coffee whilst Starbucks off-shores its profits to a tax haven.

The tax paying man in the street loses three times over.

Last edited:
So what I'm trying to say is - £17k (now) is not impossible to live on. No, it's not nice; and you'll struggle to go on holiday or have luxuries, etc - but it's possible.

M/

I understand entirely what you are saying but I honestly don't believe for a minute long term (presuming you were short term) anybody could really survive on the minimum wage, something would have to give.

I understand entirely what you are saying but I honestly don't believe for a minute long term (presuming you were short term) anybody could really survive on the minimum wage, something would have to give.

I did it for a year, before telling my employer that if I didn't see a raise I was going to walk out and go work at mcdonalds flipping burgers.

Also keep in mind £17k is NOT the minimum wage, it's the LIVING wage. Minimum wage is even less... IIRC, it's around the £12k mark... which I do feel is impossible to live on in London

M.

Last edited:
What do these people do for a living?

Let's say the person on £17k actually takes home £13k, by only deducting the rent leaves them with £7k a year (that's about £135 a week) to pay electric, gas, council rates, water rates, TV license, food bills etc etc

You'd struggle to live ap norf for that!

But you would have the warm glow of not living in London, having access to better scenary, better beer and had I mentioned not living in London?:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom