Lets Hear Of A Significant Moment In Your Life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
With the forum being a community (for most) and it being a quiet Sunday morning I thought I'd start another "people" thread, by enquiring about a significant life event that could be shared.

Happy or sad, cheerful or morose.

Birth of children doesn't count, unless different from the norm.

I'll begin:

In the late 1980's, I was beaten up so badly that I nearly died (cue the comments :D).

According to the A&E doctors, if a passing lady hadn't put me on my side, I'd have choked on my own blood.

My assailants (4 of them) went to jail for 6 years.

All for enquiring after the wellbeing of a neighbour's daughter :crazy:.

What's your significant life event?

Last edited:
First truly International job, lived in five star hotels for a year, travelled the world & got paid handsomely for it - magic time. :):)

Worst for me is losing mother & brother to C
Best was watching my Benz being delivered.

Let me guess, they didn't want to pay the rent....??

Worst was when I found out the gym was closed for a week .

Best was when I came out of the closet !!

Worst for me is losing mother & brother to C
Best was watching my Benz being delivered.

Worst - when I was told I had C :(

Best - one year later when I was told the treatments worked :)

Sorry for your loss evdok.

Acid Phoning and saying would i be interested in having the 1st Supercharged M156 in the country......

Coming to London to live with an Aunt and Uncle when I was around 5 years old having been born in Aldershot and lived in Birmingham.

My father was in the Para's and had survived the war - Bridge Too Far etc. He was on a training exercise on Salisbury Plain when he was knocked off his motorbike by an army lorry that was on the wrong side of the track. Father ended up in St Dunstan's blind and out of the Army. My mother couldn't cope and they split up. She didn't want or wasn't able to look after me so I was made a Ward of Court suffering from malnutrition. My Dad was made responsible for me and may even be the first blind man to have been given that role allegedly.
To think I could have ended up a Brummie!

Interesting to hear some of the "real" ones.

I have nothing to compare on a dramatic scale, but holding for first child is exciting and scary all at the same time. And it never gets and different for me.

The ten years following my divorce were hell because the ex made it very difficult to see my son. She would come up with scheme after scheme to squeeze more money, withhold access and constantly made plans to move away with her 'fella'.

The same fella who tried to make my son call him Dad (with his mother's blessing) and who ran me down at every turn in an effort to make my son his.

Then I was able to make my son's wish come true and have him live with me permanently with the law making me sole guardian.

My world was rocked when he was born, turned upside down when I was prevented from being with him despite his wishes and was made whole again when he started living with me again.

Eight years on, he still lives with me and that is just great as far as I am concerned.

A bit lame, maybe, but my first day at secondary school was pivotal for me.

I am not naturally clever, and hadn't been expected to pass the 11+, despite my parents best efforts (even making me do verbal reasoning tests on holiday :mad:). I did pass though, and got into grammar school.

Parents were invited to the first assembly of the term, and when we sang Jerusalem, my Dad cried.

We weren't a family to display our emotions to any great extent, and I can still feel the thud of realisation that he was actually proud of me, and that actions can have emotional consequences as well as physical. I knew at that moment that childhood was ending :eek:

14th January 2005.

I heard the news that Busted had split up.

Buying my first house at the age of 18 in 1997 just before prices started going up.

Having a Mortgage taught me the value of money and also gave me the incentive to push myself at work.

After 5 years that House had made me a lot of money and I had managed to work from the bottom to top in my job. It was the making of me :)

The funny thing is, the only reason I bought it was that I was hopelessly in Love with my girlfriend and her parents made it difficult for us to be together.

Everyone thought I was nuts and said it wouldn't last. 17 years on we are happily married with two children.

I'm glad I didn't listen to them!

Last edited:
Test driving my AMG... That noise!!!!!

The day I failed a professional exam. I'd ghosted through school and law school putting in the bare minimum of work and getting top marks, never failing a thing. The need to re-sit something for the first time ever made me start to apply myself properly and I have reaped the rewards ever since. Without it...the lovely house, cars, trips, gadgets etc would be a lot less bountiful. My partner would have to work rather than look after the family etc. Pretty good moment overall, despite my initial repulsion at the 'fail'.

Meeting my wife 35 years ago, best thing I've ever done marrying her

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom