Limo anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems cheap especially for the mileage.

What are the differences between a Duffy and the factory built limo apart from the center division?

Not sure, did some googling but there is not much info.
Interesting though...

The Mercedes build 124 limousines where built by Binz in Germany , Mb dont built limousines or hearses .Duffy's coachbodies are an Irish company that built heares and limos using Mbs .
The Duffy 124 limo had a 40 inch extension where as the Binz had a 34 inch extension . Duffy also offered a full division and folding centre seats . This limo was built Duffy using a Binz centre seat .

I thought Mercedes did do factory special versions.

Anything more to tell us about Duffy conversions? I know it sounds sad, but it's actually an interesting subject..a heck of a modification.

Mercedes used Binz or Pullman to build limos for them , also in the 80s Coleman and Milne built Mercs could be bought from MB dealers .
I can tell you loads about Duffy , Ive worked there for over 16 years .
The 124 conversion involved cutting the car along the roof , rails and floor behind the A pillars . Genuine MB parts where used to extend the cills and extra B pillars . Constume folded pannels where used for the rails floor and tunnel .
The roof on the 124 was complated , the rails had widened at the rear ot allow for the line of the roof edge to follow . The roof skin was an estate roof modified and joined to the original saloon roof towards the back .
The centre doors where made from an estate rear door and saloon or estate front door joined then a new skin . The rear doors had their front top edge raised by 12 mm to allow the door lines to flow .
We got bespoke glasses made for the centre doors . The seats where made inhouse along with the centre door panels , division .

There's no shortage of these in Cyprus, see a couple a day there...

Me too. A while back when I was considering one of these instead of a boring family MPV, we looked at a couple.

One definitely looked coachbuilt. The interior had a crude-looking division, the middle row were folding jump seats without seatbelts. You could even see the join on the roof as a line in the paint and winding windows in the rear compartment.

The second one looked like a proper limousine as Mercedes had intended. It had proper seats in the middle row and a full complement of headrests and seatbelts with height adjusters - essential for child seats. Also electric windows all round with six controls on the console and high capacity heating / air conditioning. Interestingly the log book showed it was a E280 EL. The dealer pointed out the price reflected the fact it was a factory built model.

Couldn't convince the wife though, so that was the end of it. I'll try to resurrect the idea as prices are now rock bottom for these W124 limos.

Yes, the V124.

limousine.jpg

Interesting cars, however I would always feel like I looked like I owned a cheap wedding or funeral directors business...

if purchased for a personal car then you'd HAVE to respray it, maybe silver, blue or something to avoid it looking like a funeral car everywhere you go. I know if i looked out my window and saw it parked outside someone's house, I'd think someone must had died.

then again, if you painted it silver, blue, green etc, it could still be a wedding car - and you'd be thinking "someone must had got married".

Not so easy to park up etc either.
Practical though in many other ways!

Not so easy to park up etc either.

They are about 5.5m long, so about the same as a lwb Transit / Tourneo. Apart from the height restriction of certain car parks, I don't find it too difficult to park them.

My dad had a limo business for a few years. When he closed it he kept the V124 E250D in silver. It was the only car that could seat the whole family comfortably without going american.
Neither of my parents seemed to have a problem parking it.

They are about 5.5m long, so about the same as a lwb Transit / Tourneo. Apart from the height restriction of certain car parks, I don't find it too difficult to park them.

Surely a LWB transit is much longer than 5.5M? A LWB sprinter definitely is, it's close to 7M!

Surely a LWB transit is much longer than 5.5M? A LWB sprinter definitely is, it's close to 7M!

It seems that the standard LWB Transit is 5.6 metres, but the LWB Jumbo is 6.4 metres. The Jumbo is the Transit equivalent to a LWB Sprinter.

I think that the V124 was built by Binz for MB , these two company's are very closely linked .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom