London again on 1st December. Drive or Fly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not bad Paul. Not bad at all.

Thanks John.

I've seen higher comsumption but the colder weather and a bit of crawling eats into the mpg. On the day, the cost of the flights would have risen from £155 to £300 return.

Great trip down though - Whoooosh. :cool:

And I was home 1.5, hours before the last flight if I'd have done the tourist day.

That does it for me then. Liz and I are off to London next year for a long weekend. We will be driving.

On the way back from my recent hols I paid 15 squid for a 6 mile taxi ride from the local railway station to our house. That is my eyes was a bummer. Last bus had just gone and it had not gone midnight. It was only 11 squid from Manchester Airport to the local station for both of us. Nutz. Long live the car.

Last edited:
That does it for me then. Liz and I are off to London next year for a long weekend. We will be driving.

I've flown it before and it's around 55mins in the air and you can buy tickets for around £50 each (one-way) if you book at the right time.

If you fly, the public transport in London is very good and you don't have to worry about parking, congestion zones, car theft etc. On one occasion we were in London we got a travel card and jumped on/off the tube/train/bus to pretty much anywhere. :cool:

On the way back from my recent hols I paid 15 squid for a 6 mile taxi ride from the local railway station to our house. That is my eyes was a bummer. Last bus had just gone and it had not gone midnight. It was only 11 squid from Manchester Airport to the local station for both of us. Nutz. Long live the car.

Next time you fly from/to Manchester I'll pick you up and return you to Preston/or you can park at our place. :thumb:

John

We travelled from Glasgow to London not too long ago. Took the Virgin Express straight into Euston. Less than 4 1/2 hours from Glasgow and I am sure it went via Preston.

I'd do that again in a heartbeat over the plane.

Not far from most of the major areas you'll probably want to be in too.

Preston to London Euston is either sub two hours now or just over. Bit pricey for two even if you book in advance.

Preston to London Euston is either sub two hours now or just over. Bit pricey for two even if you book in advance.

IIRC, the trick is to travel on the express trains after "business travel times". I could have used a Virgin train, 9.40 departure (I think) Wilmslow - London for £63 return. 1hr 53mins with no stops.

Just looking at Virgin prices now.

Looks like we can get Euston return for change out of 50 squid off peak. Now to cook up some shows. "We Will Rock You" for one.

"We Will Rock You" for one.

:thumb: Saw it in Vegas and booked for Glasgow in the New Year.

Brilliant show.

Mamma Mia also recommended ;)

Blimey hotel prices are a bit "elevated" down there even show and hotel deals are not what one would define as wallet friendly.

B&B recommendations in London anyone.

Blimey hotel prices are a bit "elevated" down there even show and hotel deals are not what one would define as wallet friendly.

B&B recommendations in London anyone.

I've used The Red Lion in Hillingdon. Only around 4 miles from Heathrow and not bad for the money. The place is clean and up-to-date and the staff are friendly. I didn't eat there but the food looked good to me. Parking was good also. LINK.

Hmmm. 40 mins from centre of London by DLR. The price is bob-on. The travel in and out of the city a wee bit too much methinks.
Seeing as we would be late night travellers on the DLR, after the shows and something to eat/drink. Does the DLR run 24/7 and is security good on the DLR.

f it's snowing, I'm thinking it's easier to clear two runways than a few hundred miles of motorway

Speaking as one whose work involves being on one of these 2 runways at least once a day while at work (but only for about 45 seconds!) do NOT count on it!! Heathrow runs at maximum capacity on a good day, so any disruption at all (wind, snow, fog, even a bit of rain) slows it right down. Once you can't get the aircraft in the right place at the right time, the schedules start to fall apart. Once the schedules start to fall apart, flights start getting cancelled.

There are obviously no easy options when the weather clamps down, but - and at the risk of doing myself out of a job! - I would never choose to fly from Manchester to London, even on a nice day. The train if into central London is the easiest option but for Esher, I think you made the right choice to waft there in your Merc.

Hmmm. 40 mins from centre of London by DLR. The price is bob-on. The travel in and out of the city a wee bit too much methinks.
Seeing as we would be late night travellers on the DLR, after the shows and something to eat/drink. Does the DLR run 24/7 and is security good on the DLR.

Sorry for late reply John

All DLR stations and trains are monitored by closed-circuit television (CCTV) and patrolled by staff, Travel Safe Officers and British Transport Police. A member of staff is on board every train to provide information and assistance. There are passenger alarms at all stations and on trains.

DLR operates on all routes every day of the year (except Christmas Day) as follows:
Monday - Saturday 05:30 - 00:30
Sunday 07:00 - 23:30.

Would I travell with my partner on it late at time. Thinking on it, no.

Speaking as one whose work involves being on one of these 2 runways at least once a day while at work (but only for about 45 seconds!) do NOT count on it!! Heathrow runs at maximum capacity on a good day, so any disruption at all (wind, snow, fog, even a bit of rain) slows it right down. Once you can't get the aircraft in the right place at the right time, the schedules start to fall apart. Once the schedules start to fall apart, flights start getting cancelled.

There are obviously no easy options when the weather clamps down, but - and at the risk of doing myself out of a job! - I would never choose to fly from Manchester to London, even on a nice day. The train if into central London is the easiest option but for Esher, I think you made the right choice to waft there in your Merc.

Makes a lot of sense.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the trip there and the return journey (although a little congested and heavier traffic) wasn't at all bad.

I didn't have time to visit London City which is easier to do when you don't have the car and time constraints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom