Long Vehicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Just curious, But when I was a kid I was obsessed with trucks & lorries to the extent I was convinced I was going to end up as a truck diver.

I used to buy 'Truck & Driver' every month with my spending money much to the amusement of all my friends who were buying the more obvious magazines that young teenage boys are associated with. ;)

Anyhow, I realised now-a-days that you never see the sign 'LONG VEHICLE' on the back of trucks & lorries as you did when I was a kid.

indecently my dream job was inspired by the 'Yorkie Bar' adverts with the big American Yorkie truck 'Truckin on it's way' with a lovely lady in the passenger seat.:D

Ant.

Just curious, But when I was a kid I was obsessed with trucks & lorries to the extent I was convinced I was going to end up as a truck diver.

I used to buy 'Truck & Driver' every month with my spending money much to the amusement of all my friends who were buying the more obvious magazines that young teenage boys are associated with. ;)

Anyhow, I realised now-a-days that you never see the sign 'LONG VEHICLE' on the back of trucks & lorries as you did when I was a kid.

indecently my dream job was inspired by the 'Yorkie Bar' adverts with the big American Yorkie truck 'Truckin on it's way' with a lovely lady in the passenger seat.:D

Ant.

A Freudian slip?

Haha. Yes, maybe it wasn't a typo after all.

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I believe the requirement for the board only was for trailers manufactured up to a certain date. Anything made after that date, trailers (and HGVs) have to have conspicuity markings…those reflective strips and blocks you see. It will only be older trailers you will see the "Long Vehicle" markings, I believe. The cut off date after which long vehicle is no longer a requirement for new trailers MIGHT be January 2010, if my thinking is correct.

Last edited:
I remember at one time 'Short vehicle' signs were popular additions to Minis and the like .

Also the Yorkie adverts had to be filmed on private roads as the actor who played the driver didn't have his HGV licence .

Personally I prefer "veiculo longo" as it always makes me chuckle for some reason, as though it's a fast show long vehicle. Scorchio!

Must be the child in me.

Personally I prefer "veiculo longo" as it always makes me chuckle for some reason, as though it's a fast show long vehicle. Scorchio!

Must be the child in me.

Haha. Yes. I agree, but I'm sure that's because it reminds me of great memories of being on holiday somewhere warm.

It seems to me that you too are a fan of 'The Fast Show' Grrrrrrrrrreate :D

Ant.

From about 13 to 15, much to the annoyance of parents, I told everybody I wanted to be a truck driver. I can't imagine why my parents were so disappointed.
Specifically I wanted to drive a Volvo F12 Globetrotter. I had numerous models and photos to demonstrate my love. I even had a t-shirt made with Volvo Trucks on it when the pressed-on/ironed-on letters were popular.
I still dream of finding an old F12 to buy and keep. Thankfully (for the neighbours) I think it will always be a dream.
About 15 years ago I did get a chance to consult to Volvo in Sweden. I lived in Goteborg, worked at the factory there (with employee sauna) and at the factory in Luleå, where the cabs were made.

Attachments

• 566x228_70_globetrotter_1.jpg
    566x228_70_globetrotter_1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 11
From about 13 to 15, much to the annoyance of parents, I told everybody I wanted to be a truck driver. I can't imagine why my parents were so disappointed.
Specifically I wanted to drive a Volvo F12 Globetrotter. I had numerous models and photos to demonstrate my love. I even had a t-shirt made with Volvo Trucks on it when the pressed-on/ironed-on letters were popular.
I still dream of finding an old F12 to buy and keep. Thankfully (for the neighbours) I think it will always be a dream.
About 15 years ago I did get a chance to consult to Volvo in Sweden. I lived in Goteborg, worked at the factory there (with employee sauna) and at the factory in Luleå, where the cabs were made.

You lucky devil.

I still fantasise about being a truck driver. However, the way the traffic is now a days it's probably not as rewarding as it was years ago. But, I guess the modern trucks are amazing to drive now.

Ant.

Happytalk73 said:
You lucky devil. I still fantasise about being a truck driver. However, the way the traffic is now a days it's probably not as rewarding as it was years ago. But, I guess the modern trucks are amazing to drive now. Ant.

I am now an office bound truck driver, working as a Fleet Supervisor for a 1500 strong fleet.

I came off the road due to being diagnosed with MS, although I do still hold an LGV.

I spent 15years doing all types of Class 1 work, but most of my time was on theatre and rock n roll.

When the sun is shining and you're not working on a tight deadline, the roads are clear and your driving a top spec truck it's a fantastic time.

However, when it's peeing down, your running late on a timed delivery, the motorway is at a standstill, the truck is an old heap and you've got a tricky manoeuvre at the drop.......it's a hateful job!!!

But today??

It's hell out there for most drivers, terrible hours, for not great pay and so much legislation around their work and the public don't want you around.

Allegedly there are hundreds of ways more for a truck driver to face prison doing his job than a Surgeon, but who gets paid casts amount and who doesn't?

Yes, the average driver is a high academic achiever, although there are hundreds of people who are.

But can you imagine life without trucks?

There isn't much that we use or need that doesn't have to travel by truck at some point.

As a boy i also dreamed of being a trucker, my dad was one so i wanted to follow in his foot steps.
Anyway, it never happened, didnt bother with the licence or anything, and boy am i glad. With all the taffic and idiots on the roads nowadays its the last job in the world id want to do.

Well if you want to drive a Gobstopper there is nothing to stop you on your car license,quiet a few older Globetrotter's about very cheap,of course their would be some paperwork to fill in and of course the 5th wheel would have to be removed,but those big motors when on the bump can accelerate very quickly but the ride is awful as the design is for weight on the 5th wheel

I am now an office bound truck driver, working as a Fleet Supervisor for a 1500 strong fleet.

I came off the road due to being diagnosed with MS, although I do still hold an LGV.

I spent 15years doing all types of Class 1 work, but most of my time was on theatre and rock n roll.

When the sun is shining and you're not working on a tight deadline, the roads are clear and your driving a top spec truck it's a fantastic time.

However, when it's peeing down, your running late on a timed delivery, the motorway is at a standstill, the truck is an old heap and you've got a tricky manoeuvre at the drop.......it's a hateful job!!!

But today??

It's hell out there for most drivers, terrible hours, for not great pay and so much legislation around their work and the public don't want you around.

Allegedly there are hundreds of ways more for a truck driver to face prison doing his job than a Surgeon, but who gets paid casts amount and who doesn't?

Yes, the average driver is a high academic achiever, although there are hundreds of people who are.

But can you imagine life without trucks?

There isn't much that we use or need that doesn't have to travel by truck at some point.

I've ALWAYS had (and still do) total respect for truck drivers. I always give way to them in many different situations.

And you're right. The world needs trucks for so many things.

Truckers out there, I solute you. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ant.

I should add to my earlier post it would seem if you have passed your driving test after 2001 you will not be able to drive a unit even without the 5th wheel,seems you new boys have got a inferior license

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom