Look up MOT advisory notices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:) What a find!!

cheers:)

great link, but seems like bad news for me.
Last but one MOT showed 85000 Miles on the odometer, Latest MOT shows 55000 miles on the odometer, 30000 mile going missing.

It seems that it has been clocked, anything I can do about this?
Anyone had this problem?

Where did you purchase the car from and how long ago was this?

To be honest I bought the car from a salvage yard and replaced the front end and is now a lovely car, which I use for work.
The clock says 58k, the previous owner bought the car last august from a company in Durham with the MOT at 55k.
The previous 2 MOTS show 63k in 2006, 85k in 2007 then this one in 2008 at 55k.
Between 85k mot and 55K mot there was 3 months when it was not covered so I am wondering if its been stolen , rung, or written off in that period.
I am ok with the mileage and happy with the car (its really the previous owner who was ripped )but if you look at the previous previous owners average mileage at 20 k per year then the motor has potentially done 100k.
Now, I bought the car needing a C service thinking it had done 58k and therefore not needing major servicing, but if it has 100 k does it need timing belts chains or the like done?
Hope this makes sense
Sorry in answer to your question of when was this , I bought it about a month ago.

Last edited:
I'm no lawyer but if you bought it as salvage then I suspect that there's little redress with the scrapyard unless they warranted the mileage.

The car has a duplex cam chain so no worries there.

Thanks Spike, as I said I am not worried by the mileage and what I paid for the car and the cost to fix was fine but some poor sod down the line got ripped. My only worry was the major service.
I would have thought that as the info on the MOT was availlable to me online then why would it not be apparent when the last test was done and someone or some software flag it up.
Good to hear about the duplex, I am a total novice to Mercedes but have learned a great deal over the last month. This will not be my last, planning on a 3.2 clk for me and a slk for the Mrs soon.

I was not provided with the Advisory when I bought my car.

Just checked details via the link provided and it shows that the vehicle failed and then passed at the same MoT centre, for the same issues, on the same day, at the same mileage!!

The issues my car failed on are still current!

Failed:
Nearside Front position lamp not working (1.1.A.2b)

Advisory Notice issued:
Nearside Rear wheel bearing slight play.
Centre, Rear, Front Exhaust slightly deteriorated.

Would anyone like to offer constructive and accurate advice regarding this please?

I was not provided with the Advisory when I bought my car.

Just checked details via the link provided and it shows that the vehicle failed and then passed at the same MoT centre, for the same issues, on the same day, at the same mileage!!

The issues my car failed on are still current!

Failed:

Advisory Notice issued:

Would anyone like to offer constructive and accurate advice regarding this please?

Bulb replaced at the MOT station to get it through the MOT.

The advisories are not to a level to fail an MOT, and therefore nothing was done at the time of the MOT, and may or may not fail the subsequent MOT.

This certainly does feel like a repost from another thread...

Failed:
blown bulb? A cracked lense isn't reason to fail the car unless this affects the light beam I believe. Also, notice it says not working and not "damaged". Hence, this would indicate a blown bulb or fuse or wiring. Given that it was subsequently passes on the same day, I would recon a bulb.

Advisory Notice issued:
These are advisories, i.e. warnings. Thus, nothing was done about them. It's up to the owner of the vehicle to keep an eye on these, and potentially fix them before they get worse. Remember that an MOT is a check for a point in time - the moment the car leaves the garage it's the onus of the owner/driver to ensure that the car is still in a safe and road legal condition.

M.

EDIT: Nasco: Position lights are more commonly known as sidelights or citylights.

Last edited:
m.o.t history

I only found out how to check m.o.t history today from my son, very useful info as I have just bought my '97 C180 ( yesterday ) and found it great for confirming the lowish mileage at 86,000 and how many miles each year since 2006.

Excellent website.

Check my C200 CDI 'after' having taken delivery of the car, found a Failure and an Advisory I was not told about (wondered why there was only 4 months MOT left).

Now have one new tyre and new front discs and brake pads also the emissions have been sorted plus a new MOT

Took two weeks to sort out,

The new MOT certificates now being issued are all on one page, and have any advisories listed on it automatically rather than on the old separate 'amber' sheet

just checked my 2003 c180 coupe , its only ever had one advisory for low tread on a tyre . :)

Definitely useful, a friend bought a 5 year old Skoda diesel from a trader with 82,000 miles on it. After a year of expensive engine troubles it turned out it had recorded 129,000 miles at the time of its 1st test, 2 years before being bought with 82,000! The trader was very quick to buy back a year after selling, although the car was back on Autotrader 2 weeks later, still with wrong mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom