Looking at W203 estates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just look for a good one at sensible money. Everyone wants a diesel these days it seems, I like them but they do cost a fair bit and aren't as reliable as some of the petrol engines out there. M112 is pretty much bulletproof. Would definitely rather this than an M271 or a CDI engine - both of which can be expensive when they go wrong.

I changed the crankshaft pulley, belt tensioner and idler pulley wheel as a precaution on mine. Tensioner/idler were very easy DIY, had the crank pulley done at the garage. Not pretty if they go apparently.

Had the autobox & filter changed as well.

No rust on mine other than a few scabs on the front wings which I just rubbed down and hammerited :D

So far so good.

Today was a whirlwind tour of various garages looking at several cars - in the end I have bought a 2003 C270CDI estate with FMBSH ( last serviced at 111K ) and 115K on the clock . The car has all the toys , factory fitted detachable towbar and all for a decent price . The dealer has agreed to rectify a couple of defects I picked up on ( fault with the central locking and a cracked lens for the indicator in the door mirror ) , otherwise the car is very presentable and drives very well .

The original owner apparently had the car as his company car , after which his father bought it from him , now me .

I should take delivery around the end of the week once the couple of minor niggles have been fixed .

The two front tyres are nearly new Pirellis , but the back ones while still legal will need changing sooner rather than later . The spare is a space saver , but I have an unused full size wheel out of a W203 in my back garden .

Will post photos in due course .

This should make a fine daily driver and will allow me to keep my older cars for high days and holidays .

Today was a whirlwind tour of various garages looking at several cars - in the end I have bought a 2003 C270CDI estate with FMBSH ( last serviced at 111K ) and 115K on the clock . The car has all the toys , factory fitted detachable towbar and all for a decent price . The dealer has agreed to rectify a couple of defects I picked up on ( fault with the central locking and a cracked lens for the indicator in the door mirror ) , otherwise the car is very presentable and drives very well .

The original owner apparently had the car as his company car , after which his father bought it from him , now me .

I should take delivery around the end of the week once the couple of minor niggles have been fixed .

The two front tyres are nearly new Pirellis , but the back ones while still legal will need changing sooner rather than later . The spare is a space saver , but I have an unused full size wheel out of a W203 in my back garden .

Will post photos in due course .

This should make a fine daily driver and will allow me to keep my older cars for high days and holidays .

You could not be more wrong!

My car was also a 55 plate, rear quarter panels and rear wings started showing rust at 4.5 years old. Mercedes had these repaired under goodwill at no cost to me. At 6 years old, front wings started to rust and rear of bootlid, fixed by MB with 20% contribution from me.

All of these parts are galvanised, but still rust. Even more disturbing is the bootlid was rusting beneath the plastic trim at the rear, so no chance of stone chips or any other damage to paintwork that could be blamed for rust taking hold. I only found out as I had to remove the plastic trim to replace the number plate light unit.

At 7 years old, the rust had returned to the rear arches, again Mercedes had this repaired at no cost to me as the original repair had failed.

I have also seen a 2008 ML with rust along the bottom edge of the rear doors so anyone who thinks the rust issue was finished by 2005 could be in for a surprise. :mad:

Russ

Russ ,

I bore your comments in mind when looking at various cars . Even the most expensive car I looked at ( £750 above my max budget , and on a 55 plate ) looked like there had been remedial work carried out .

In the end I decided that spending more was no guarantee of perfection , so went for one of the cheaper cars I had looked at ; this car has certainly had one rear quarter painted at some point , as evidenced by the 'orange peel' on the panel , and has a few scuffs on the bumpers , but otherwise tidy enough .

Since this car is just for getting to and from work , and load lugging , I'll be quite happy as long as it runs reliably - to that end , the comparatively low mileage , a satisfactory test drive , and the service book stamped from new to 4000 miles ago by Western Mercedes in Edinburgh is reassuring to a point .

Regardless of history , the car will be gone over by myself and serviced as required during the holidays .

Time will tell how it goes after that .

Derek, the C270 is a fine machine - converted me to MB ownership!

first problem I hit was the MAF - symptom was could not rev above 3k and no kickdown. Didn't find it for a while as with that engine you seldom go above 3k RPM! Luckily had full warranty so it paid for replacement.

Second problem was thermostat - useless heater and engine temp not getting above 60C. Easy fix (replace thermostat, I bought part from MB and local garage fitted it for £40CIH.) Not only did it improve the heater, MPG also increased by about 5. Since owning the S204 though, I'm pretty certain the electric bolck heater on the S203 was US even though set to auto - the S204 warms up loads quicker.

Third problem was clunks and knocks from the front suspension, especially over potholes. Bushes and rose joints replaced, ride quality superb.

I also had the ATF and filter changed (70k miles) even though the gearchange was pretty smooth. Cost about £150 IIRC and certainly did no harm!

Superb car and engine - you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to cover distance and arrive fresh and comfortable, as well as being able to surprise quite a few chavs off the line!

Enjoy!

A few pics of the car from the advert , lo-res unfortunately but I will post some better ones later .

1-6.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-3.jpg

Just realised you're in Ayrshire - up in the frozen North! Suggest you keep an eye on here and eBay for a set of 16" wheels with/for winter tyres - I'm at literally the other end of the country, but found out the hard way what a difference they make when the white stuff hits. First winter on almost new Falken 452's, big problems. Second winter on new Dunlop winter tyres, no problems. Be patient and you'll pick up a set of 16's cheap - it'll be worthwhile!

Chris , winter tyres are already on my list of things to do . No snow here right now , but off to Aberdeenshire in a few days !!!!

The rear tyres are legal , but need replacing sooner rather than later ; the front tyres are a pair of nearly new budget tyres . I haven't even looked at what size tyres are fitted just now ( only got the car last night when it was dark and raining ) but was thinking of just getting a pair of winter tyres for the back to start with .

I will have a look round the local breakers for a set of steel wheels so I can put on a full set of winter tyres and keep the alloys with summer tyres . I suspect this will be more critical than with my older cars which run narrower section tyres and manage fine in the snow . I also want rid of the space saver spare and a proper spare wheel . There's one breaker in particular who always seems to have newish Mercs in and is reasonable with his prices . I wonder if wheels off an A Class will fit as there are plenty around - otherwise I will wait for a C to turn up .

Also need to cut down the collection of wheels in the back garden ( I was told there are 16 recently - certainly a set of 5 for the Ponton , another set of 5 for a 126 plus a few odd ones ! ) . Best not incur her wrath by adding to that lot :)

Looks like a great buy. :thumb:

Never been a fan of the 203's looks but I like the like look of your one. :cool:

Derek, looking at the photos my guess is she's on 17's, so possibly 225's. Mine was on 16's and 205/55's. From what I've read, it's not advisable to put winter tyres on just one end - no good being able to drive the rear wheels if the front end won't go where you want it to!. I've seen 16's (alloys) with winter tyres sold for £150-200 on here and eBay, I paid £800 for mine new from MB and sold them a year later (with 1600 miles on them!) and was lucky to get a decent price. I then got really lucky on eBay and picked up an essentially new set for the 204 for £205!! Result!

Watch out for bolt size - 203 wheels have 12.5mm holes for 12mm bolts, 204 wheels have 14.5mm holes for 14mm bolts - and I think A class wheels may also be 14mm, a scour round the alloywheelsdirect.net site will give you all the info.

Quite the frosty reception you received from the oily blokes Derek.

Cutting off their noses to spite their faces with silly rules!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom