Looking for a new stereo for my R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
HI all, I have a 1997 R129 SL500 and the original stereo has lost a lot of it's LCD display. I'd like to replace it with a new stereo, one that I can link with my iPhone, so with Bluetooth and aux. Does anyone have suggestions for something that will fit with the cars era and not look too modern? Thanks.

Be warned that this isn't a simple swap.

Your factory stereo runs via an amp and powers speakers with a different impedance than normal off the shelf car stereos.

If you change the head unit for something non OEM then you probably need to be looking at changing wiring and speakers at the same time.

Sp!ke said:
Be warned that this isn't a simple swap. Your factory stereo runs via an amp and powers speakers with a different impedance than normal off the shelf car stereos. If you change the head unit for something non OEM then you probably need to be looking at changing wiring and speakers at the same time.

Could you use the aux output from a modern head unit to feed the amp and leave the wiring and speakers intact ? Might be a simpler solution

I've not heard of any head unit swap that worked well.

Did all R129s have a seperate amp and drivers with unusal impedances? My first thought was a Becker Indianpolis pro 7950 or a Cascade, both are only available used nowdays so aren't 'truely' modern but have bluetooth and navigation (no streaming music and no nav updates since around 2009) with an aux in that can be used in various ways including full control of an ipod. The cascade also has a micro-SD card slot. No answer regarding the amp thing but a recent thread... http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elec...le-r129-becker-under-rear-seat-amplifier.html

The internet spat out this pic for Bose amp connections

470761d1348845701-r129-custom-stereo-systems-bose-subwoofer-amp-r129-.jpg

all the pics of MB (Becker or Alpine) audio 10, audio 30 etc head units i can find just show the usual ISO plugs in the back but i can't find a list the connections at block C that's specific to an r129 Connectors for car audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is sometimes configured differently and/or incomplete without C1 line outs so i'm guessing it comes to down whether the bose amp took line level inputs or speaker level inputs?

Thanks guys. I don't think I have a separate amp. I certainly don't have one behind my seats, as I have the rear seat option, so no space under them. I'll have a look. I know some cars had the Bose amp unit. Mine had a 6 disc CD unit in the boot. I'm happy with a used unit, but can't read any display in mine, so can't tune the radio and want to use my Iphone. Thanks, Ian

Pioneer P80PRS might fit the bill - simple black and chrome face, white illumination.

Thanks guys. I don't think I have a separate amp. I certainly don't have one behind my seats, as I have the rear seat option, so no space under them. I'll have a look. I know some cars had the Bose amp unit. Mine had a 6 disc CD unit in the boot. I'm happy with a used unit, but can't read any display in mine, so can't tune the radio and want to use my Iphone. Thanks, Ian

The amp is normally fitted under the front carpets just in front of the seat squabs. I *think* its on the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom