Looking for one of these rims in 16inch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kbhogalW126

Car
'98 W140 S320
Guys and Gals,

I had a flat tire on the CLK the other day and realised that the spare wheel bay in the boot was big enough to take a full size spare.

The alloys look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Clk270-Cdi-Avantgarde_W0QQitemZ260064946747QQihZ016QQcategoryZ9855QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Could someone please tell me what these wheels are called and if there are any available?

I just need one rim (with or without tire) in a 16inch size.

I've looked at Alloywheelsdirect.net and he doesnt have any available.

We want to go touring in the summer and I feel it would be better to have a full size spare instead of the special spare.

TIA,

KJ

I do believe that design is called Saiph.

According to my catalogue the 16" comes in the following:

7Jx16 ET37
(205/55R16 tyre)
B66474080

8Jx16 ET32
(225/50R16 tyre)
B66474082

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Steve

How about a potential German eBay bargain :bannana:

Translated:

They offer here on one new sweeping set i.e. 4 originals Mercedes aluminum rims. Rim size: 7 x 16 ET 37 Rims are in a new condition. They get a calculation on their names with proven VAT With 209 it the model is already registered those!! Scope of supply: 4 rims without hub caps IMPORTANTLY!! With us they get the commodity with calculation and warranty!!! We have nearly all Mercedes rims NEW there also unique pieces When desired we install also new and used tires to Top conditions. With questions 07133 900051 or 017661100313

Edit: Just noticed that its for a set of 4 so maybe not..

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have 205's on the front and 225's on the back.

WOuld it be a major no-no to have a 205 spare and use, for example, a 205 and a 225 on the back if i had a puncture?

And is it possible to get non "rotational/direction" type tyres that can be used on any side, if you know what I mean :crazy: ?

tia,

KJ

Presumably you have no spare at the mo? Do you have one of the inflator kits or is it a call to Mobilo?

Either way, unless you are particularly unlucky with punctures, looking at the difficulties with diff widths and then mixing directional and non directional tyres - is it worth all this effort to have a matching alloy when it will only be on for a very short time anyway? Ie until you get it to a tyre shop to be fixed correctly?

I know punctures do have that tendency to happen at the worst time and it maybe that the peace of mind it brings is enough - but unless you have spare bolts and spacers etc the fact that yours, like mine, has different wheels front to back would mean for me that this was a waste of effort. If you don't have an inflator/repair kit, perhaps that would be your better option.

jmho

Pammy,

I've got a special spare but i'm after a matching full size wheel because we are wanting to drive through Europe this summer.

I thought it would be best to have a full size spare, matching, preferably so that if we were to get a puncture in some backwater village at least we could drive a decent distance to a tire place.

An extra bonus would prabably be for us to pop the special spare in the boot as well, just in case we got two punctures.

I'm being a bit over cautious but i wouldn't like to think "what if" if it happened to us.

Would it be safe enough to drive with a 205 and a 225 rim on the back if I had to for a couple of hundred miles?

regards,

KJ

I'm being a bit over cautious but i wouldn't like to think "what if" if it happened to us.

Would it be safe enough to drive with a 205 and a 225 rim on the back if I had to for a couple of hundred miles?

I've never had a puncture driving in Europe and we've driven thousands of miles there. That's not to say it doesn't happen of course. But the chances of getting two? And having to drive 200 miles before you can get a repair. If you don't mind me saying - I think you are maybe being a tad over cautious ;)

As for having different widths on the same axle - I would have thought this was a total no no - but I could well be and prob am wrong on that:D

edited to add - what breakdown cover are you taking over with you? That should cover you for tyre/wheel change anyway ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a space saver. You can Drive up to 50MPH without any problems and would be better of IMO finding a garage to repair the wheel if yo do not have MOBILO or other breakdown cover.

This might sound stoopid but...... just because its Europe doesnt mean to say that you would not be able to get a puncture repaired or a tyre renewed if need be!!!! Just do some homework before you go!!! And take some tyre weld/ inflator kit....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom