Loud clunk, rear wheel 210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E
I suddenly had a loud clunk from the rear drivers wheel area of my 210 estate. It now makes a pretty bad noise over potholes and divots in the road. I looked under the car expecting a rear spring to have broken but everything looks ok (although a bit worn and crusty looking). The springs look fairly new.

The subframe mount areas look ok and free from any serious rust.

Any thoughts on this one? Cheers

You will have to jack it up and, using a pry bar, actually test all the bushings etc...especially the front sub frame bush.

Check the "shock" isn't leaking.

Well it turns out the rear SLS shock has broken. Do these need to be changed in pairs as they are bloody expensive? Cheapest I can find is £230 at euros.

Well it turns out the rear SLS shock has broken. Do these need to be changed in pairs as they are bloody expensive? Cheapest I can find is £230 at euros.

We did when our E240 needed them done, £230 a side is a good price iirc

The traditional view (123s, 124s etc) is that SLS 'shocks' don't need changing in pairs as they aren't dampers in the conventional sense, the spheres handle that role

Try 102 420|Sachs Shock Absorber|Sachs Shock Absorber uk|102420 and 102 422|Sachs Shock Absorber|Sachs Shock Absorber uk|102422 dunno if either is correct, i just found a couple of MB part numbers and used the Sachs equivilant. Those prices will be + delivery and VAT so should work out ~£195 - £210 all in

GSF are currently offering 30% off this weekend, so these struts with the code "sun30" works out at £162.16 each incl VAT & delivery.

The cheapest site for Sachs (Or any ZF group brand) is usually

SKS Car Parts

Self levelling strauts are normaly around £150 each from them.

You can also use coupon code SKSWP2015 for another 5% off

I've used them a few times, and been very happy. It would be worth calling to check the delivery times though.

Which part of it was broken? Or did you mean leaking?
Mine makes a noise, too.:crazy:

Thanks all! I have ordered a Sachs part from the link above, less than £200 delivered.

The shock has broken apart, the top of the shock is no longer attached to the car!

It might make sense to change both but there are so many bits and bobs to get done.... Exhaust manifold gasket, leaking fuel lines, ticking injector, prop donut :crazy: Seeing as it's not a safety issue I will change just the broken one for now.

Last edited:
How much fluid am I likely to need when replacing the shock?

It depends on how much you loose. No more than a litre usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom