Lower ball joint replacement on W201 front wishbones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Hi,

I've noticed a noise appearing from the driver's side front wheel area on my manual 2.5-16, it sounds like a squeeking/squeal type sound which is more noticable when steering.

I haven't driven the car for a couple of weeks, jacked it up to have a very quick look but I haven't got anyone else here today to move the steering etc whilst I'm looking/listening. I have a feeling it's coming from the lower ball joint fitted into the wishbone.

Has anyone replaced these on a W201, I'm sure they're probably similar to the W124s etc, but from a quick search I can't tell if they need a press etc to fit?

The part appears quite cheap - less than £15 a side! I think complete MB wishbones with the ball joints/bushes etc are around £200 or I guess I could've replaced the wishbones if the joints are really that hard to remove/refit.

I don't mind spending the cash if it's worth it but I don't think there's anything else really untoward. It's a great smooth driving car and has had a good going over of the steering/suspension etc a few thousand miles ago and no reported problems of excessive wear/play on any parts during MOT time or inspections.

I'm guessing that a recent drive where I got caught out in some rain, plus the limited use and cold weather might have caused the joint to become dry/washed out hence causing this noise? Doesn't appear to be any other problems.

Any advice/pointers much appreciated, just wish it'd warm up/brighten up a bit again! :eek:

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for that, as I was sure I'd heard before, it looks quite straightforward to remove. Just hope it's easy to refit?

Luckily, I had a friend over a minute ago and so quickly jacked it up again and removed the O/S/F wheel - it makes a 'creaking' sound when either compressing the wishbone up/down, or when it's vertically stationary and the steering is turned from side to side.

It's a bit dark and freezing cold out there, but I'm pretty convinced it's the lower ball joint - as there's no obvious play/knocking it's hard to pinpoint the creak. Can't really see what else is moving that it could be coming from other than the bottom of the shock but I don't think it's that.

On the +ve side, the track rods are both brand new from a few '0000 miles back and everything else seems ok, I'll order up a pair of ball joints and replace those.

Is it worth getting the alignment checked afterwards (?). It's had quite a lot of other suspension work at the last major MB service, and I've just fitted four new tyres. Seems to drive well and tyre wear seems ok, I guess it'd be worth checking at least.

Cheers,

Will

Theoretically the track is set from the excentric bolts on the inner wishbone bushes so if you don't remove/ replace them then the track should be undisturbed. I think you will have to remove the steering arms but as long as the setting remains undisturbed you should be OK.

I'm just as confused as I was earlier now! :eek:

Seem to be getting mixed info on whether it needs a press to remove/refit the ball joint. A couple of people have now told me that the wishbone needs to come out and have the joint pressed out, and then re-fitted - but I've also heard that it'll come straight out in place.

I don't mind doing whatever is needed, but there's obviously no point in removing bits that don't need to be.

If they need to be pressed into place, I guess I could get a pair of perfect 2nd hand wishbones, clean them up, fit new MB ball joints and bushes etc and then just change the whole lot over? Means that it'll be much easier for me to do this on a sunday/at leisure etc :)

Anyone else done these on this model recently? What sort of press would be needed (if neccesary), cost?

Cheers,

Will

http://www.klann-online.de/englisch/Filme_E/KL-0326-10_E.htm

Does that make it seems as though a press is the only way then?

I wonder what the cost of these presses are? What do most people normally use?

If they can be removed by just knocking the joint (?), how do you re-fit them into place? That hydraulic press must surely use quite some force!

I take it from looking at the video that it is several tonnes of force!

Will

Last edited:
If you take an angle grinder with a cutting blade you can remove the bottom of the joint. After that take a hammer and knock the ball out of the housing. Then you can split the inner ring with a hacksaw. It comes out quite easy. Putting it back is a little more difficult ( I usually remove the wishbone) I seat the new ball joint in the housing and use a 50mm socket and knock it home. Note where the cut out is situated on the old joint before inserting the new one. Quickest so far (ok I know I have all the tools etc) is 45 mins.

If you look at the Mercedes shop "how to" it shows it can be done in situ with a good heavy duty press and the correct spacers and drift tubes. It is obviously a lot easier on a bench with a heavy duty mounted press since you can orientate the suspension arm to suit the press. Most garages have a heavy duty hydraulic press easily capable of the task.

Ages ago we had a member replace his in a pub car park when it collapsed and I'm sure he didn't have a press.
W211 joints are held in in a similar fashion and they can be knocked out and in no problem.

Found the thread.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16575&highlight=ball+joint

Edit.
Your arrangement looks different to the W124 even though it is a 124 part number and wishbone..??
Yours is like the W211 type.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've noticed a noise appearing from the driver's side front wheel area on my manual 2.5-16, it sounds like a squeeking/squeal type sound which is more noticable when steering.

I haven't driven the car for a couple of weeks, jacked it up to have a very quick look but I haven't got anyone else here today to move the steering etc whilst I'm looking/listening. I have a feeling it's coming from the lower ball joint fitted into the wishbone.

Has anyone replaced these on a W201, I'm sure they're probably similar to the W124s etc, but from a quick search I can't tell if they need a press etc to fit?

The part appears quite cheap - less than £15 a side! I think complete MB wishbones with the ball joints/bushes etc are around £200 or I guess I could've replaced the wishbones if the joints are really that hard to remove/refit.

I don't mind spending the cash if it's worth it but I don't think there's anything else really untoward. It's a great smooth driving car and has had a good going over of the steering/suspension etc a few thousand miles ago and no reported problems of excessive wear/play on any parts during MOT time or inspections.

I'm guessing that a recent drive where I got caught out in some rain, plus the limited use and cold weather might have caused the joint to become dry/washed out hence causing this noise? Doesn't appear to be any other problems.

Any advice/pointers much appreciated, just wish it'd warm up/brighten up a bit again! :eek:

Cheers,

Will

Big hammer and press are ideal.

Other than that a used wishbone is the easy option.

I'm just as confused as I was earlier now! :eek:

Seem to be getting mixed info on whether it needs a press to remove/refit the ball joint.

You belt them out with a hammer, and then refit using a special tool, or failing that a press.

MB have a special press for this... I was offered the tool by an ex MB techie but I found out that they usually break after the first use!

If the W201 is like a W124, if you replace the wishbone you'll need new wishbone bushes and camber bolts and you will need to realign the front end

Also, removing the existing bushes can be a swine. Many people resort to burning out the bushes with oxy-acetylene then cutting the bolts because the inner steel bush is rusted onto the pivot bolt

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Like always there are several ways to approach the job. Some are obviously better than others.;) Some will work "some of the time" others are pretty full proof. The recommended way is to remove the entire wishbone and use a press with the correct drift to press it in. Using a hammer EFFECTIVELY -I favour the 5lb variety personally, does involve elements of skill and experience otherwise existing assemblies-i.e. the wishbone may be damaged.:eek: A press and exact size of drift required ( very important) allows a greater degree of control in the application of the force ( sometimes considerable) required. As always proceed carefully and engage the brain first before the application of brute force. GOOD LUCK!:cool:

p.s. I know that experienced techs in MB dealers use both ON and OFF the car methods to replace these-- so with experience either is possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom