Lowering suspension on ML500 W164 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ab9758

Car
CL500 (W216) ex-ML500 ML63 AMG and ML55
media (2).jpg
I know I have to get used to the styling differences with former ML63, but I can't get used to the high off the ground fixed suspension. It gives what I keep thinking of as a tractor appearance.

The car doesn't have Airmatic suspension so it's fixed in what looks like the highest position. I've just put on slightly wider (275/50/19 compared with 255) rear tyres to tweak the appearance from the rear, but it's side-on that's frustrating.

I've looked at the fibreglass "fender flares" that may give a (desired) bloated look to the wheel arches and slightly improve the appearance. (You may have gathered I'm more concerned with looks over comfort/ride/handling etc!)

Is there a cheap way to lower the suspension so it looks more "planted"? Can't contemplate full blown replacement, but if there's a simple solution I'd be pleased to follow up.
Ebay advert of fender flares below:

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Nothing looks worse than wheel arch extensions that are much wider than the wheels...
The W164 arches are pretty bulbous anyway (in a good way, obviously), so it will look far better with wider -spaced wheels rather than wider spaced arches.
I opted to leave the arches alone and space the track by 30mm each side, combined with changing to 18" wheels and 285/50 tyres.

The overall look is far more balanced and aggressive, not to mention a lot more grip, better turn-in and a smoother ride. Win, win, win!

The rear track could be spaced out even more, if you were keen, but spacers thicker than 30mm are almost unobtainable...

No problems with MOTs and other boring stuff, so for all practical purposes, no downsides. Yes, I know about accelerated bearing wear, but I bet they'll still outlast me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom